UKC

MSR Dragonfly not reaching full power...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 crayefish 22 Jan 2014
My MSR Dragonfly is now well over 10 years old and still boiling water (or welding food to the pan) happily. However, last year I had a tiny problem with it which has cropped up again last weekend.

I find that the stove no longer reaches 'full power' but instead the power tops out at around 2/3rds of the valve turn which never used to be the case. When it happened last year I gave it a full service (fuel filter and all) but it didn't really solve it. I forgot about it and then this weekend I noticed again that it wouldn't increase after around 2/3rds power.

The stove is still very useable but its annoying I can't boil water at the usual fast pace I had with the stove before. Anyone had this problem with their Dragonfly before?
 NottsRich 22 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

Not a dragonfly but an Omnifuel. I've used it a fair bit over the last 4 years and then last month it wasn't reaching full power. Was running on whitegas/colemans, but I hadn't used it for a few months beforehand. Tried bottled gas and it was fine, but that doesn't need the pump obviously. I've now temporarily* removed the fuel filter in the pump and it's working fine again. It sounds like you've done the filter already, but on the Omnifuel there are two - one in the pump/fuel pickup, and one where the flexible hose enters the stove. Not sure if the Dragonfly has two?

*Can't find a spare filter! Got spares for the 2nd filter in the fuel line, but not for the pump. Any ideas where to get Primus spares? I bought the small red spares box, but it only had one size filter in it.
OP crayefish 22 Jan 2014
In reply to NottsRich:

Yeah I have changed the filter on it; the Dragonfly only has one on it (on the stove side of the bottle connection). As I generally use pump petrol I would prefer to keep the filter in it.
 martinph78 22 Jan 2014
In reply to NottsRich:

Rubbish website but they stock everything individually. No need to buy those expensive "service kits" again!

http://www.base-camp.co.uk

To the OP, have you tried it on gas? Prividing everything else is cleaned this would eliminate pump problems, leaving just the fuel hose (may be dirty/perished inside).
 martinph78 22 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

I forgot, these have the shaker jet don't they? Perhaps that is blocking under full power?
OP crayefish 22 Jan 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

No I haven't tried on gas... didn't even know they have a gas adaptor for it! But I don't have one anyway.

Yeah the shaker jet could be the issue... worth me trying without it. Would seem strange if suddenly that was the problem though.
 martinph78 22 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:
> No I haven't tried on gas... didn't even know they have a gas adaptor for it! But I don't have one anyway.

That's because there isn't, sorry. Was getting my stoves mixed up.

Still think the jet is worth looking at though, or a perished fuel hose (my primus hose lasted about 9 years before splitting and leaking from the inside)
Post edited at 16:25
OP crayefish 22 Jan 2014
In reply to Martin1978:
Yeah I'll give it a test if I can find a large enough flat head screwdriver at home.

I *think* the fuel line is teflon under the braid so shouldn't be a problem, but who knows.

Trying to avoid sending it to MSR for countless weeks and who knows how much charge.
Post edited at 16:38
 TMM 22 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

Try contacting First Ascent who are the UK distributors for MSR. They are normally very helpful and pragmatic.

First Ascent Online Limited
Units 2-7, Limetree Business Park, Matlock, Derbyshire, DE4 3EJ
Telephone: 01629 580 484
Email: info@firstascent.co.uk
OP crayefish 22 Jan 2014
In reply to TMM:

Thanks. I'll send them an email.
 L.A. 22 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:
Dont bother because First Ascent havent been the agents since June. You need to either contact Cascade Designs in Ireland (the European HQ)or the new agents Pro Agencies Ltd
www.proagencies.com

Email: Lawrence@proagencies.com
Tel: 077 9590 4043 - Northern Territories
Matt Moore
Email: Matt@proagencies.com
Tel: 0773 421 5821 - Southern Territories
agent

However the OP might find that if he cleans the 2 long grooves out at the end of the flame adjuster rod with a pin it`ll make a huge difference as they are probably slightly blocked with debris(its those grooves that the fuel flows through on its way from the fuel line to the burner) Part G on the Needlespots diagram below.
If that doesnt work change the jet AND the shaker needle.
Needlesports hold the best selection of MSR spares
http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Cooking-Equipment/Stove-Spares-Access...

OP crayefish 22 Jan 2014
In reply to L.A.:

Thanks very much for that info mate. I will send them an email tomorrow.

I have cleaned the groves and reamed the needle seat with the tool so don't think it is that. To be honest nothing came out and was pretty clean, despite years of use on unleaded petrol. Haven't tried changing the shaker needle though. It didn't look gummed up at all but as per someone else's suggestion, I will try running it without it and look for any changes.
 NottsRich 23 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

You might have done so already, but try using some fresh fuel. Petrol certainly used to gum up over time and leave a laquer/varish on metallic parts. Not sure if modern fuel with additives does that any more, but might be worth a shot? Have you got any whitegas you can try?
 NottsRich 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

Thanks for the link. You weren't joking about it being a rubbish website! Still haven't found spares for the Omnifuel but I'll keep looking...
 TMM 23 Jan 2014
In reply to L.A.:

Well done Lindsey!

I was going to suggest that the OP call you at First Ascent but looks like that deal is no longer alive.

Sounds like some good advice there.
 L.A. 23 Jan 2014
In reply to NottsRich:
Again, use Needlesports for Primus (and all multi fuel stove spares)They are the best by far and if they dont have the required part in stock they can usually get it for you (Mr Reid you owe me!)
http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Cooking-Equipment/Stove-Spares-Access...

ToTMM- Thanks Ben Im now a free man and longer there
 Adam Long 23 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

>I have cleaned the groves and reamed the needle seat with the tool so don't think it is that

Had this a few times with mine and doing this has always cured it in the end, sometimes you have to do a few times though, and I often wrap some cardboard around the reaming tool to clean the bit where the shaker needle sits. Flushing with some proper coleman fuel should help too, whenever I've run mine on unleaded it ends up full of soot.
 JazG 23 Jan 2014
In reply to L.A.:

Hope the new service and support is as good as the service you provided at First Ascent Lindsey. Any idea why they lost the contract?
OP crayefish 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Adam Long:
Only done it once this service so will certainly give it another try or two.

Edit: Just had a email from Chris at First Ascent and he offered the same advice. Very nice of him to provide an in depth reply despite them not being MSR dealers anymore!
Post edited at 12:04
 martinph78 23 Jan 2014
In reply to NottsRich:

Give them a ring is probably best, they do stock everything, honest
 lone 23 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

I found I was loosing pressure in the bottle but not via the fuel filter, instead from the pump itself. I replaced the 'O' ring seal and the little spring-loaded 'doo-daa' (sorry for not using the tech term) that keeps the air pressurised inside the bottle. (It’s got a little ball that pushes against the O-ring seal at the end of the pump to keep the pressure in the bottle)

Also replaced the 2 very small 'O' ring seals on the shaft of the 'burners' flame adjuster and re-oiled the pump seal too.

The burner is now 100%, hope this may help you

Jason

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...