UKC

Major Snow Storm on the way

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 22 Jan 2014
in North East USA

http://www.scmp.com/news/world/article/1411187/major-snowstorm-slams-northe...

What are the chances of it wandering over to the British Isles?

Winter is virtually over here. The pigeons and seagulls have started mating, the blackbirds are singing, crocuses and daffodils are sprouting up fast, I saw blossom on a cherry tree today, the woodpecker has been noisily wood pecking in the woods near me. Any day now someone is going to write to the Times saying they've heard the first cuckoo.

Should I put my ice axe and crampons back up in the loft?
 Cameron94 22 Jan 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Where do you live?

It's definitely still winter where I am.
 Jamie B 22 Jan 2014
In reply to Trangia:

> Should I put my ice axe and crampons back up in the loft?

No, it's the 22nd January.

Alan M 22 Jan 2014
In reply to Trangia:

It depends where you draw your line for winter and at what altitude. several hundred metres up and its definitely winter even in Northern England (Not climbing conditions wise but winter none the less) but I agree at town level winter has not really been winter this year anywhere in the UK (so far).

This is shaping up to be my worst winter climbing season since 2002 for England. If I don't get out in the next 2 weeks on real climbing conditions then it will register as my worst!!
 JamesRoddie 22 Jan 2014
In reply to Trangia:

There is a really quite huge amount of snow up in the higher Scottish corries.
 george mc 22 Jan 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Certainly full on winter On Cairngorm today. I like the snow on the hills and mountains. Not so keen on the stuff at my house level. Just means lot's of digging and clearing - I only like doing that whilst climbing not trying to get into the car...
 toad 22 Jan 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Last Easter my boat in NE Wales had almost a foot of snow on the roof - it nearly sank! Don't call Winter over just yet
In reply to Trangia:

> Should I put my ice axe and crampons back up in the loft?

Winter didn't end last year in the Lakes until June 1st.
DC
 JohnnyW 22 Jan 2014
In reply to george mc:

> Certainly full on winter On Cairngorm today. I like the snow on the hills and mountains. Not so keen on the stuff at my house level. Just means lot's of digging and clearing - I only like doing that whilst climbing not trying to get into the car...

Couldn't agree more. Could do with a wee bit more blue sky and a little less wind....oh, and a dry walk-in though eh!? (Just one day Big Man In The Sky, just ONE teensy weensy day...)
 Bob Bennett 22 Jan 2014
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

March was the best month!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...