/ todays alternative film awards season nominations for...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Choss on 23 Jan 2014
Best genre Parody.

Murder by Death for detective films.
Blue Straggler - on 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

The Long Kiss Goodnight for buddy action wisecracking doo-dah. It helps that it works very well as a proper buddy action wisecracking doo-dah film in its own right, as well as cocking a snook at the genre.

If you need a more direct parody, then the same screenwriter's "The Last Action Hero" might fit the bill, I loved that.

Mr Lopez - on 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

It took me 10 attempts or so over the years to finally watch it in its entirety a couple of weeks ago, and to my surprise what i used to think was utter tripe turned out to be a gem of a movie. Starship Troopers for best parody to anything that comes out of Hollywood.
Tom V - on 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

I enjoyed Tropic Thunder on TV the other night.
All sorts of stuff/people being parodied.

"Never go full retard" -cracking piece of advice.
In reply to Tom V:

It's well worth watching it on DVD with the commentary on, because Robert Downey Jr. makes good on his character's declaration that he "never drop(s) character until the DVD commentary is done". It's somewhat mind-melting...

as for the film, mostly great but it goes all sappy at the end in the same way that Three Kings did
In reply to Choss:

Top Secret. Best parody of spy-hero action films, without too many other genres intruding (I think only the Blue Lagoon flashback spoof was "other-genre" in that one)

And from the same gang, Hot Shots Part Deux is a great parody of sequels :-)
paul-1970 - on 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

'Dead Men don't wear Plaid': early Steve Martin and very funny amusing spoof/homage to American film noir of the 1940s.

'Blazin Saddles': perfect and very Mel Brooksian spoof of the archaetypal Western. I don't think I'm overstating facts in thinking that the whole Western genre had to be reinvented after this film.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Choss on 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

Im Surprised Nobody has brought up Mel Brooks Back catalogue yet, or airplane for 70s disaster films.

for classic creature Feature black and White horror Parodies i offer in Second place, carry on screaming, the only carry on film i can stomach. In first place young Frankenstein. Its been years since ive seen one of the Abbott and Costello creature Feature parodies so cant Comment, but used to Like them as a Kid.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.