UKC

Wrist Gangion - treatment?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 23 Jan 2014
Anyone ever had any success controlling a wrist gangion (on the back of the wrist) with a splint?

I had one pop up after a session on Kalymnos about six weeks ago, it isn't painful, but may have got a little larger, so it looks like ignoring it isn't an option,

Chris
 Hat Dude 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Aren't you supposed to whack it with a bible ;-(
 Clarence 23 Jan 2014

I got rid of one a couple of weeks ago by pounding it against a makiwaka (rope-padded punching post). I am prone to the buggers but fortunately very few survive a good karate training session. Not sure if it is medically advisable, my doctor told me the bible thing and if they get too big, lancing and scraping.
 Dervey 23 Jan 2014

I had a fairly large one for ages, I left it alone and one day it just disappeared as if by magic. It's yet to return.
 Mike-W-99 23 Jan 2014
Hi Chris, I had a small one last October that dissappeared after a heavy session on the overhangs at Ratho
It came back about 3 weeks later and I got rid of it by pressing hard on it. Back it came a week later for its 3rd incarnation and in a much bigger form. (From pea sized to diameter of a 50p)

It was sore after climbing and affecting my wrist movement. I visited the GPs on monday who tried draining it with a nice big syringe. This didn't seem to work so she referred me to a colleague. However a few hours later I was sitting in work and suddenly noticed it felt much better and it had drained itself internally (not noticeable fluid outside).

Back at the GPs today to see the Dr who deals with sport injuries and he said to come back if it bothers me again and they'll drain it and then do a steroid injection as well.

Hope you have some sucess, theres always the bible trick!
Post edited at 11:55
OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 23 Jan 2014
In reply to all:

Cheers for the replies, I have bought a splint and will see if a little sustained pressure 'persuades' it to go down.

Chris
 Mike-W-99 28 Jan 2014

Mines just come back a week after being drained.
OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 28 Jan 2014
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

I have been splinting mine for 5 days and it has got bigger!

Chris
 SouthernSteve 28 Jan 2014

I think that people used to cut these out surgically, but with long waiting lists learnt that they often just resolved, although it took a long time.
 Mike-W-99 29 Jan 2014

Hmm, bible time then.
 Hat Dude 29 Jan 2014
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

> Hmm, bible time then.

Or a definitive guidebook
 Mike-W-99 31 Jan 2014

Tried the book trick last night. Or more correctly Mrs W did.

F**k me that hurt and didnt budge it. I declined a bigger book.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...