UKC

Guides for the Peak district

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 origamib 23 Jan 2014
What's the best general guide for the peak district?

I considered buying some specific guides such as Stanage, but I'm new to climbing so I usually end up going with whoever I can and I don't have a usual group or climbing area. That and it would be more useful at this stage just to get an idea of what's around and perhaps later on get something more specific...

Keeping in mind that I'm a beginner and living in Sheffield, what's everyones recommendations?
 Jack Whiteley 23 Jan 2014
In reply to origamib:

Eastern grit is good for Sheffield based beginner trad, virtually no bouldering in it.
 Jon Stewart 23 Jan 2014
In reply to origamib:
Yep, Rockfax Eastern Grit is the place to start. Once you get hooked, you'll want to start collecting the brilliant BMC guides, starting with Stanage.

You might want a Peak bouldering guide too, but that's a lot of duplication once you start buying the definitives. Maybe try and pick up an old bouldering guide? Bear in mind that when it's cold and time is short, you can get a lot done bouldering, have a lot of fun and really improve your climbing. On grit, if you don't boulder, you're missing the point.
Post edited at 12:52
 Philip 23 Jan 2014
On Peak Rock is the best all round.

Their are individual BMC guides two. There are some overpriced photo guides from an independent but there's a lot of controversy over that taking money-making away from the BMC.
 GridNorth 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> On grit, if you don't boulder, you're missing the point.

Climbing on grit IS bouldering. It's not high enough to be real climbing.
 Jon Stewart 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Philip:

> On Peak Rock is the best all round.

Entertaining and with nice pictures, but completely impractical. A good one for the shelf.

deepsoup 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Yep, Rockfax Eastern Grit is the place to start. Once you get hooked, you'll want to start collecting the brilliant BMC guides, starting with Stanage.

Nah. "Burbage, Millstone & Beyond" first (for a Sheffield based climber), then Stanage. :O)
 Offwidth 23 Jan 2014
In reply to origamib:
The only modern one that covers that (and has some bouldering as a bonus) is the VG guide Peak District: Climbing. My favorite is still the old Steve Ashton 100 classic climbs on gritstone guide but its a bit outdated style wise these days. I also think On Peak Rock is being increasing and unfairly under-rated albeit also a bit out of date style wise. Do not buy the Paul Nunn guide unless you enjoy black humour (if you do Its a great collector piece only bettered by a new climbs obscurity from Steve bancroft). The new series BMC guides are ace; Rockfax are very practical and pretty.
Post edited at 16:03
 deepsoup 23 Jan 2014
Incidentally, to just get an idea of what's around you could do a lot worse than rummaging around the 'logbooks' section on here.

You can use the 'find crags' map to find crags in the area you're interested in, routes and grades are listed, mostly there aren't any topos but you'll find links to lots of photos of the more popular crags and routes.

You might find some of the tick lists interesting and/or inspiring too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...