UKC

Calanques in October

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 23 Jan 2014
Some mates want to go to Kaly again, boring, and others have mentioned the Calanques vaguely and I was quite interested, but was with someone the other day who was raving about it, and a relatively new guidebook available I am now very enthusiastic.
So after a bit of research I have found it is much more extensive and potentially adventurous than I thought, maybe a combination of Pembroke and Gogarth by the Med, but with a horrendous car crime problem.
So has anyone been there lately, is polish an issue and can the Car Crime thing be avoided, I was thinking maybe a Bus or Taxi to the area to avoid parking the car.
Any advice appreciated.
 ChrisBrooke 23 Jan 2014
In reply to GLUF:

I've parked a lot at Morgiou and at Luminy (University) with a hire car and had no problems.
Loads of great routes to go for. Polish no worse than at other popular limestone destinations.

Been there three times. I love it.
 alps_p 23 Jan 2014
In reply to GLUF:

some routes are polished a bit, but it's not particularly bad. In terms of it being an adventurous destination - I've not been to Gogarth but there definitely are sectors where you don't have to abseil to climb. There is plenty of sport climbing with simple, walk-in access. That being said, there are parts of Calanques where access would be more along the lines of what you described.

I've been twice and not had any problems with our car being brokenn into, but I can't say it doesn't ever happen.
 Fraser 23 Jan 2014
In reply to GLUF:

Great destination and, as already stated, no worse than other popular areas for polish. I've been loads of times and never had a problem with the car.
J1234 23 Jan 2014
In reply to GLUF:

Thanks sounds positive, any recommendation on Accomodation, maybe for 12, with a pool would be awesome but not that big a deal.
 Carless 23 Jan 2014
In reply to GLUF:
Excellent area to visit - been 3 times
Never had trouble with break ins - just leave your car empty with glove compartment open and parcel shelf out

Loads to go at, and don't forget to do some routes on Cap Canaille

Stayed in Cassis last time - great place for 12
http://www.abritel.fr/location-vacances/p687334#summary

Mostly double beds though
Post edited at 16:13
J1234 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Carless:

Looks great thanks, but sadly appears not to be open in October.
 BrainoverBrawn 24 Jan 2014
In reply to GLUF:

I was there this oct/nov gone. It's fantastic, loaded with opportunites on large crags or small, mainly large. I wouldn't say Pembroke or Gogarth however because it is very carefully bolted and the guidebook I have (for sale if you want at £20) one of the french ones is pretty spot on for the Calanque we climbed in.
However I am not up there at the cutting edge of route developments to know what else is going on but like I say, what has been geared is done and recorded well and the polish is largely weathered out I reckon.
I don't see why car crime would be an issue and didn't hear of any but access is fairly poor by car anyway as you still have to walk a long way and will just get a slightly more dull footpath. A car is not really going to be important either if you ask me since you will never run out the options in En Vau, the first mega zone from Cassis in a 2 month period even. Only first hand knowledge will make you prepared for the amount of walking required here. You are absolutely not allowed to camp, but there is a youth hostel situated in the National Park about the same place as the Eastern (Cassis) end car park.
Also 12 or 10 or even six of you could hire a boat which really would get you to the further access crags more easily. There was a lass posting about a holiday about a month ago who says she is fluent french and spanish. The boats seemed affordable but a proper negotiation in advance would reap massive rewards, as a chance to access the crags by sea would make a paradise holiday.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...