UKC

alpine gear (Rucksacks)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hiker_sean 23 Jan 2014
Hi all

Im trying to decide on my gear list for climbing mont blanc in august. I was there last year but unfortunately didnt summit. This year i've taken into consideration the weight of my gear so im torn between a:

- 40L North Face Prophet, or a
- 45L Black Diamond Epic

can anyone review any of these or offer a different pack?

Cheers
 Bob 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Hiker_sean:

Neither, you need a smaller sack. 30L is more than enough see http://bobwightman.co.uk/climb/gear.php?p=alp_gear
 alooker 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Hiker_sean:
http://www.podsacs.com/packs/stock-ccpal40-pod-alpine-40-backpack.html podsacs stuff all on sale at the moment. I like this one as I can lose the lid and just use the roll top, you can pack it down nice and small on your back. Haven't tried the others, although I like the really simple alpkit gourdon packs too, not 40l though... Maybe their 30l would be large enough?
Post edited at 16:34
 GridNorth 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Hiker_sean:

Yes smaller pack. I would say 35 litre absolute maximum if you want a pack that is useful for other situations even smaller if you are buying specifically for this trip.
 Kai 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Hiker_sean:
Something like this (25 liters) should be fine for most alpine routes:

youtube.com/watch?v=t66yivA-Hys&

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/ascensionist-pack-25-liter?p=47960-0
Post edited at 20:38
mysterion 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Hiker_sean:
On sizing, I got everything including ice axe and helmet into a 33 litre for the plane. A 30 litre would be enough with helmet under the lid and ice axe outside. Didn't bring a rope though.
Post edited at 13:04
In reply to GridNorth:

> Yes smaller pack. I would say 35 litre absolute maximum if you want a pack that is useful for other situations even smaller if you are buying specifically for this trip.

Totally agree with the above. As much as I'd love to sell the more expensive bigger packs, my advice is to go as light and compact as possible in the Alps. The bigger packs are actually appealing and look cool. I love Grivel's flagship Alpine 45. But they serve "bigger" purposes than climbing 4000's in the Alps IMO. Nothing wrong with buying one... I use an old (18+ years) BD 35L rucksack. These things last ages. Or at least should last ages. Make sure you get what you really want and need. Within reason, don't bother too much about cost. It will pay for itself.
 martinph78 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Hiker_sean:

As an alternative, the Montane Medusa 32 is worth a look. Pleased with mine, and the service from Montane when it did break

Comfortable for climbing and large enough to cope with the walk-in. I know for many it's "too big" for a climbing pack but it has these straps on the side that you pull and it compresses down nice and small

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...