UKC

Boot Advice please - B3's

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 StephenS 23 Jan 2014
Hey everyone

I'm going to sell my Scarpa Mantas and make the move to B3 boots.

I've got a trip to Norway planned in Feb so think I need to upgrade.

I'm thinking about buying a pair of Scarpa Phantom Guides, or Batura 2.0's.

Obviously these are different from the mantas because they are inner/outer.

Anyway, have you found the fit of inner/outer boots to be different to a single structure boot?

There aren't many places that stock boots by me so might have to order online.

I take a UK11 or EU46 in normal shoes, but my mantas are EU47, UK12

Thanks
 TobyA 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Littleslip:

> I'm thinking about buying a pair of Scarpa Phantom Guides, or Batura 2.0's.

> Obviously these are different from the mantas because they are inner/outer.

> Anyway, have you found the fit of inner/outer boots to be different to a single structure boot?

If by inner/outer you mean they have removable inner boots, then I think you are confused because both the Phantoms and the Baturas are single boots. Yes they both have the zip up perma-gaiter design, but that's not the same as a double boot like the Phantom 6000 or Sportiva Spantiks.
 martinph78 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Littleslip:

You live in Liverpool, but can't find a shop that stocks many boots near you?

Pedro 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Littleslip:

Hi, I've used double boots at altitude, but I think what would you may wish to look at are AKU Spider Kevlar GTX"s. They are very light very warm , and to me very comfortable. Obviously individual fit is all important but try them if you can. Good luck!
 Up High 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Littleslip:

Surely the need for B3 boots depends on where your going in Norway and what your doing, a good pair of B2's could be all you need!
OP StephenS 23 Jan 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I'm sure everybody understands what I meant. If you want to pick the post apart on the details without actually being helpful then crack on
OP StephenS 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

Yes there are plenty of shops selling boots, but finding the boot I want, in my size, in stock, is proving difficult.

If you're not going to comment regarding my question then don't answer at all
Obviously I'm not a retard I know there are plenty of boot shops where I live.
OP StephenS 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Up High:

Rjukan, ice climbing
 TobyA 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Littleslip:

> I'm sure everybody understands what I meant.

Well I didn't - and I was trying to offer some advice (I have sportiva double boots, Baruntses, and single boots so can explain the difference in fit). But hey ho, if you want be pissy about people trying to help out, then crack on.
OP StephenS 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Littleslip:

Well thanks for advice, I'm now aware of the difference between double boots and perma-gaiter

Ill make sure to use the correct terms in future
 mattsccm 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Littleslip:

I had a pair of B3's. Rock boots that were stiff enough for crampons!
Remember?
 TobyA 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Littleslip:

I actually made up perma-gaiter, but it has a nice ring to it eh?

I don't see why having an integrated gaiter would effect the fit of a boot really. I suppose doing up the laces becomes a wee bit trickier which is why they all seem to use some pulley system under the gaiters rather than classic laces. I watched my mate break the plastic tightening widget on his new Phantoms on Sunday which was clearly annoying, but I've seen people have problems with the zips on Baturas too - so I suppose you can get unlucky with any boot.
 martinph78 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Littleslip:

You may not be a retard, but spending £400 on boots you've never tried on before doesn't sound very clever. I don't see why I should bother (hence my abrupt post earlier), but here's some "helpful" advice. Pick up the phone.

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/scarpa-mens-phantom-guide-boot-31310029?id_c...

They have a store in Liverpool, and if you phone them they can get your size in 2-3 days (if they don't already have it). Pop-in, try it on, see how it fits. Buy it. Job done.

OP StephenS 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Littleslip:

Ok thanks for the advice
 Ander 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Littleslip:

You're a bit of a tetchy twit, ask for advice and express yourself poorly (in a way that suggests you might be under a misaprehension), and it's quite right people try to clarify your OP.

Wind your neck in and thank people for their posts!

A quick google will find plenty of shops that stock a size 47 in those boots. If you're in any doubt, go try them on, get expert advice rather than buy off the net, as it's an expensive mistake when you get it wrong.

I'd suggest a trip to somewhere like V12 or Joe Browns in Lllanberis.
 Ander 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

Cotswolds in Betwys is probably a good shout. The staff in there are generally above avreage, and they generally have good stock levels.
 Ander 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Littleslip:

http://coldthistle.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/scarpa-phantom-guide-vs-la-sporti...

Cold thistle has many posts on the subject of the fit of phantoms and baturas, the classic post is here.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...