UKC

A Scottish independence question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Blobb 23 Jan 2014
There is a new stretch of road being built between the Lochcarron junction and Achnashellach that is EU funded. At least that's what it says on the sign. My question is...

If Scotland leaves the UK what will happen to the funding? More specifically future funding and the fact that Scotland will need to re-apply for EU membership. Presumably this will take some time and there is a possibility that it may not even happen.

David Barratt 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Blobb: Your 'fact' is a very contested one. In any case, in the event of an independence yes vote, there is some time between the vote and 'independence day', things would work them selves out I'm sure. For your particular example, I suspect the finding has been allocated.
 Fat Bumbly2 23 Jan 2014
Shaky ground fearmongers - the continuing membership of the Union, or what is left of it is not exactly assured. We could be dragged out a few years after a no vote anyway.
 OwenM 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Blobb:

I can imagine as it's the EU they'll have to dig it up, re-join the EU and then re-apply for the money to re-laying the road.
Removed User 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Blobb:

If and if and if..

However, let's hypothesise.

If Scotland were to vote to separate from the UK I'd imagine that the EU would take the view that sooner or later Scotland would get back in and they'd wait until negotiations had ended before deciding what to do.

Anything else is sounds like a ginormous pain in the arse for the Eurocrats.

Re the UK. When Britain had a referendum to join the Common Market 60% of the population of the UK were against it at the start of the campaigns. By the end the proportion had reversed. I see the same thing happening this time round, if there is a referendum. Personally I don't think David will be back in Downing Street after the next election so let's not take things for granted here.

Of course whether it's a good idea for the UK or, in the unlikley event of a yes vote, Scotland to remain in the UK is in my view open to sensible debate.
 lynx3555 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Removed User:
It would seem that UKIP has risen sharply in the political ratings.
http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2014/01/18/ukip-the-most-popular-party-in-br...

Maybe The English will vote for remaining in the UK but I think it's likely that they won't....maybe I'm wrong but sadly the general view of a lot of English seems to indicate this likely outcome.
Personally I see a lot of advantages being a member of the EU and it seems the majority of the Scots do as well....Incidently I think the EU can see the advantage of Scotland being a part of the EU as well....there are many reasons Europe would want us to be a EU member and our large oil reserves is only one of those reasons.
Regardless of England's personal political desires, I and many more like me will vote YES. Why wouldn't we want to control our own country and cut out the middle man when dealing with Europe?
 Jim Fraser 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Blobb:

I don't understand the point of this discussion. Surely Scottish independence would be the ideal opportunity for the EU to unload the troublesome English?
Jim C 25 Jan 2014
In reply to OwenM:

> I can imagine as it's the EU they'll have to dig it up, re-join the EU and then re-apply for the money to re-laying the road.

This is a possibility:-
If you are a pro EU member and you have a sceptical , and troublesome UK who are making noises about coming out, and part of that UK breaks away and says you know what , we think the EU is great, we don't agree with the rest of the UK, and we wish to stay in the EU ( not my view)
As a pro EU member you are then in a position to get back at the UK by welcoming the breakaway nation, and making them welcome to stay in the 'family' ( and stick two fingers up at the anti- EU contingent in the remainder of the uk)
 RomTheBear 26 Jan 2014
In reply to Blobb:
> There is a new stretch of road being built between the Lochcarron junction and Achnashellach that is EU funded. At least that's what it says on the sign. My question is...

> If Scotland leaves the UK what will happen to the funding? More specifically future funding and the fact that Scotland will need to re-apply for EU membership. Presumably this will take some time and there is a possibility that it may not even happen.

Well there is a stronger possibility that the whole of the UK would leave the EU after th next GE anyway, currently there is overwhelming support tin England to leave the EU, current polls indicate that 46% of the population would be in favour of exiting the EU and only 38% to stay.

In that regard because there is much wider support for staying in the EU in Scotland than in the rest of the UK there are actually more chances for Scotland to find itself out of the EU staying part of the UK than if it got independence (If you want my opinion I think it's actually one of the very few arguments of the yes campaigns that actually make sense)
Post edited at 10:49

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...