UKC

Road biking in California

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Theho 23 Jan 2014
Hi.
We usually spend the summer road biking in the Alps riding the cols but have decided to travel to California and Canada this year for a change (and have never been). We are quite keen to do some road biking over there and wondered if anyone has any knowledge of this. We're planning (roughly) to fly into San Francisco and fly out of Vancouver 5 weeks later.
Can anyone recommend any good spots for road biking (we like hills!). We're used to having a van for transport and sleeping (for free) so were considering taking the bikes and hiring one in San Fran and dropping off in Vancouver (though this seems quite an expensive option). Any advice/links would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, John.
 sleavesley 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Theho: all I will say is it gets pretty hot dependent what time of year you go, there are some big cycle lanes in places that cars could drive down!
I just cycled around Sacramento as was staying with my mate who lives there so on a mtb, I just had to watch out for cougars (the animal variety) due to them seeing you as prey!
There are plenty of routes but I would look up the old routes done on the tour of California for some inspiration. Should have distances and profiles available somewhere.

Enjoy it.

ti_pin_man 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Theho:

Mount Tam north of San Fran is a must. I cant advise on routes other than this one biut would suggest you get in touch with the locals. In fact theres an expat brit who owns one of the best bike shops in SF he could give you guys some routes. Drop him a line via their website: Roaring Mouse cycles: http://www.roaringmousecycles.com/

He's an old school friend, tell him joe recommended him as a local guide!
OP Theho 26 Jan 2014
Thank you for your replies.
Think we might hire a couple of bikes and do a couple of days north of San Fran.
Thanks.

altirando 26 Jan 2014
In reply to Theho:

My daughter lives near SanFrancisco and has been a keen cyclist until her recent accident. I could ask her for suggestions, but I do remember that the coast road north of the famous bridge is a great belvedere - there is a place called Sea Ranch that rents out interesting houses. I think the connecting road back is called the Russian road. Another famous coastal route is south of the Pebble Beach golf course, can't think of its name, long way south of sfo and might need a toll for cars. For an easy day ride up to the Ridge Winery and spend the afternoon sitting on a bench enjoying a bottle of their wine.
Removed User 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Theho:
I wouldn't try to hire the van and do the drop off. It'll cost ya more than its worth. Fuel alone will be about $100 per day on average and could be more depending on the van. Think 10 to 15 miles per gallon.

What kind of road bikes? Most big centres will have bike hire somewhere. I have a friend who does this out of Canmore though it doesn't look like you'll be that far East.

I don't know enough about California but if ya fancy an alternative, Durango in Colorado is a huge biking place with some serious hills to get up (the rockies).

TBH, I don't think you'll struggle to find something.

As an aside, with 5 weeks I'd definitely divert to Durango and then back into Utah although watch the heat in the desert.
Post edited at 01:20
Removed User 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Theho:

This is wierd. I edited my above post last night when I realised you had 5 weeks planned for the trip but my edits have not been posted.

What I then said was the cost of fuel will be quite high if you rent one of the bigger RV's (think $100 - $200 per day or 10 - 15 mpg) and these things are expensive anyway, especially with a one way drop off.

I also added that, given the time you have I would definitely divert into Durango and then back out into Utah but be carefull of the desert heat.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...