UKC

mobile dat rates- is 1G enough

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Sarah G 24 Jan 2014
Hi Folks, of the UKC Massif (did you see what I did, there?)

anyway, am new to this iphone thingy and now I need to choose a pay as you go from Orange.

My question is, how uch data is 1 gig? enough?
I don't plan on downloading music, video or anything else from the 'new, just use the web for a bit of browsing, the odd bit of fartbook, tw*tnav, looking stuff up while on the go (I can access the web at work and home, and I don't tend to get out much!!!)

so will 1G be enuff, or do I need to pay for unlimited data? How do I tell?

Please help!

Oh, by the way, the phone is trying to upgrade ti ios7. It's been doing this for 2 days. Is this becuase it needs mee to be mobile download signal thing, rather than wifi?

Sx

Sx
 SteveoS 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Sarah G:

I use mine constantly and never reach 1gig my phone has a data block on it so I can't go over.

Satnav may eat through the data though.
 Siward 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Sarah G:
I get by with a measly 250mb which I usually just about use up. However most of the time I'm using a wifi connection. 1 gb is in the real world pretty good, I remember when my main home internet connection was capped at 2 gb/month!
 Carolyn 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Sarah G:

Yes, I also have 1GB, and never get near it with plenty of email and general Internet use - just banned the kids from watching online videos over the mobile network (not that they want to as the quality's lower than when they have wifi!)

iOS upgrade - that should work over wifi, more likely than over mobile Internet. Does it want to be connected to iTunes on the computer? (Fairly unlikely, I think the recent updates are less fussy, but maybe you need to set up an iTunes account or something?). Or is it just hassling you to upgrade - I've been ignoring messages for ages....
 Neil Williams 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Sarah G:

1GB will be loads provided you're not streaming too much, and if you download e.g. iPlayer you do it from the wifi.

The iOS 7 upgrade should work on wifi. Might be worth you Googling it to see if you like it - it changes the look substantially.

Neil
Sarah G 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Sarah G:

Cheers, everyone, that's giving me lots to go on. Have gone for the 1g option, just to be safe.

Ta for the info on the upgrade thing, by the way. I'm still in the fog, particularly as I can't seem to get it to recognise my email, but I'm sure that's just me not understanding all this techy stuff. I'll get there.....

Sx
Sarah G 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Sarah G:

I should add that my phone at home has got a dial. And a little drawer.....
 SteveoS 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Sarah G:

I recommend asking for a limit so you can't go over or they'll sting you if you do.
 LastBoyScout 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Sarah G:

Think mine has 250Mb of data and I don't use much more than about 10% of that, as I tend to use wifi most of the time at either home or work.
 Alan M 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Sarah G:

Really depends on how you plan to use the phone etc

looking at my data useage in December I used 3.08GB, November 2.96GB i have unlimited data allowance and often use my phone as a portable wifi hotspot to connect my tablet etc. I use a lot of iplayer, youtube, sky go etc as I travel and stay in hotels a lot example I watched the liverpool v stoke game on my tablet tethered to my phone. Due to the unlimited data I very rarely connect my phone to wifi even at home so that pushes up data useage

also how many apps? how data intensive are they? remember they need updating from time to time and will even transmit/download locations etc. They like to use data etc so makes sure you select non automatic updating otherwise they'll eat in to your 1gb allowance.
 alps_p 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Sarah G:

1Gig is more than plenty UNLESS you view videos (youtube, vimeo, etc) on your mobile. I do and find my usage around 2-3GB monthly.
Sarah G 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Alan M:

Ah hah, good point re non-auto updating, cheers. Will hunt through the settings.

Sx
Sarah G 24 Jan 2014
In reply to SteveoS:

Ta, it's on top up, so once it's gone, it's gone!

Sx
 Blue Straggler 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Sarah G:

Your question has already been answered I guess, but I'll say anyway that my useage is about the same as what you describe (not much SatNav but I do use it).
I went through a few bills from last year and found that I generally used around 40Mb per month! That's with regular daily faffing on email and FB and occasionally looking up other stuff (cinema listings etc) but not really much else.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...