/ Montane Alpine Stretch - opinions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
JayPee630 - on 24 Jan 2014
Anyone got one of these softshells, they look great value. I'm in the market for a non-membrane softshell to use for spring though to autumn as a heavier weight alternative to my pertex windshirt, so not bothered about the insulation as I'll wear a think fleece and synthetic layer if cold underneath.

How windproof are they? What's the fit like?
Brian Pollock - on 24 Jan 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

Fit is excellent, low enough to stay tucked under a harness, very stretchy and no extra material to flap about. The hood is also snug around the neck and fits over a helmet easily.

I have had mine about 7 months. Used for multipitch trad, summer alpine, Scottish winter, mountain biking, the odd run etc. It is definitely the most versatile item I own, layering very well on colder/slow moving days and great over a baselayer for the Alps in summer or on fast moving days in Scotland.

Unbelievable value for money. The only time I have left it in the car was on a long wet walk in this winter where I was expecting heavy rain. Though I think it would wet out pretty fast in proper rain, it has certainly dealt with general damp conditions and snow very well and I have never been noticeably cold in it if layered properly!

It is very breathable so probably not the most windproof but I haven't noticed any issues.

I'd definitely recommend you buy one as a go to, do everything jacket.
In reply to Brian Pollock:

Thanks, that was helpful. How does the fit run? I'm 5'10" and 75kg, pretty average with maybe slightly broader shoulders I'd say, and usually take a medium or sometimes a large in things. How does this compare?
Brian Pollock - on 24 Jan 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

I'm 5"10, about 73kg, 32 waist, wear a 38 suit jacket. I'm normally a medium in everything and I take a medium in the Alpine Stretch. It feels fitted but not tight anywhere.

Usually I size up in Montane stuff but medium was fine.
In reply to Brian Pollock:

Thanks very much sounds same as me near enough, will order one now!
Mr. K - on 24 Jan 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

I returned my pair to Montane after the fabric furred and pilled up terribly after a single day rock climbing (on limestone, not grit!). They were clearly going to fall to pieces after a handful of outings! I was refunded with no explanation so I guess I could have had a bad batch? Replaced them with another pair of trusty Terra Pants which are absolutely bombproof. I wouldn't buy another pair of trousers in that particular stretchy fabric.
In reply to Mr. K:

Thanks, but I was talking about the jacket. Not sure if the material is the same.
Deary65 - on 27 Jan 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

Buy it and you won't regret it.
ads.ukclimbing.com
BnB - on 28 Jan 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

I have one. I am 5'11 and 72kg and the medium is perfect. Very flexible as it is light enough for summer yet layers well (it is a roomy medium) in winter over insulation for incredible warmth, windproofing and breathability. I can't believe the value next to the competition. Recommended.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.