UKC

What kind of phone?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kat4kgb 24 Jan 2014
Going to Scotland in 2 weeks time. Need some kind of waterproof and cold proof phone as my iPhone 4S loosing it's charge with in 2 min after being out of my pocket in North Yorkshire! Any advise what kind of cheap ish phone to get for the hills? Cheers Kat
 gunbo 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Kat4kgb:

Bought a otterbox armor for my iphone its been ace shockproof dustproof waterproof keep it in it all the time. They are about 60 pounds for the case well worth it though. I did end up putting blob of sealer over the headphone socket my case came with the wrong bung in it I could have sent it back but could not be bothered they sell them on amazon and outdoorgear.co.uk
 martinph78 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Kat4kgb:
Samsung B2100 Solid Extreme. Can be found for less than £30.

Lost mine in the lakes, got a phonecall 7 days later from a ranger who'd found it. The alarm was going off in the morning

Tough, waterproof, and battery lasts a week no problems.
Post edited at 19:21
 PPP 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Kat4kgb:
Do you need an emergency phone or a phone to use it frequently on mountains? I usually have a smartphone with myself, but it is mostly useless and I keep it turned off. I have a Nokia 100 (105 is a better model, though). Its battery is supposed to last 35 days (lasts at least 20 days if not used). If you keep it in inner pocket of your jacket, it would work.
The best thing is that Nokia 100 costs about 10 pounds. I did not even bother looking at shockproof phones. If I ever happen to break it, I can buy another one. And the phone also has a torch, which is not very bright.

The main thing with most of batteries is that if they get cold, they do not work. When I was at school, I have seen many peers rubbing their dead batteries into their jeans and "the battery charged", as they said. To read more, check this link: http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthingsworkfaqs/f/coldbattery.htm
Post edited at 22:19
 Kai 26 Jan 2014
In reply to Kat4kgb:

I have a Casio Commando.

http://www.gsmchoice.co.uk/en/catalogue/casio/gzonecommando/

It's waterproof, coldproof, drop proof.

I'm very hard on my phones. Until I discovered the Casio Commando line, I never had a phone that lasted more than 4 months. I've been using a Commando for several years now. Never had a problem, in spite of numerous drops, dunking in water, etc. It's got GPS on it, and it's good enough that I completely stopped using my standalone GPS unit, and just use the phone now.
 PN82 26 Jan 2014
In reply to Kat4kgb:

I agree with PPP, i use a basic Nokia 101 in a waterproof sealable bag inside my paramo salopettes so that the phone is kept warm and protected from cold.

Mine is a dual sim phone from ebay for £15. I have a pay as you go Vodafone sim card and i insert my contract EE card in from my smartphone at the start of the climb. Both numbers are registered with 999 text, as i do 95% of my days in the Scottish highlands then different parts of the country get better reception on different networks so i have more bases covered. The phone is simple, mega battery life and cheap!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...