UKC

Winter two dayer - suggestions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peebles boy 24 Jan 2014

Have somehow managed to make a lads weekend happen in a couple weekends time (Valentines Day weekend...I think we'll all be making up for this one for a while to come...)

Whilst I'm slightly sceptical about it (it's still dark for 14hours at a time...), there's a desire for a two day trip using bothy/tent/snowhole as overnight base, having started early Saturday morning and finishing (back at car) for late afternoon Sunday. Would like to take in a gully/ridge or two along the way, but prefer not to have to carry (any) more than needed such as harnesses/rack etc. There's four of us (maybe 5/6).

Any suggestions? Due to travel distances afterwards, nowhere north of the A86/A9 (Aviemore), and I've done the Culra/Ben Alder trip previously so keen to avoid repetition.

Alternatively, please feel free to scorn the idea so I can back myself up when I try to persuade folks to do two separate days out!!

Cheers,
Gordon.
In reply to peebles boy:

NE Ridge of Sgor an Lochain Uaine / Corrour is an obvious Ben Alder/Culra replacement.
 Joak 24 Jan 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

Only just squeezes into your nowhere north of the A86 criteria! An anti clockwise traverse of the Grey Corries from Corriechoille then spending the night in the Lairig Leacach bothy. Nothing technical but this is compensated for with an easy walk back to the car nursing the morning after sair heid with some potential for recouping lost Brownie points with an unexpected early return to the lonely Valentine's on the Sunday!!
OP peebles boy 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Joak:

Aye, that's on the "potentials" list, but having done it solo in summer and winter (adding on the rest of the ridge and over to the Aonachs and then CMD and the Ben...big days!!!) it's further down the list than you'd expect!!
OP peebles boy 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Mate was talking about that route actually, looks like a good one mind you...
 petegunn 24 Jan 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

We throughly enjoyed the Mamores "ring of steall" went up to Mullach nan Coirean first and bivied at the small lochan just before Sgurr an Lubhair. Day 2, did the out and back leg over the devil's ridge then continued on. Top tip, park up at the higher car park and walk down to the lower one as it saves pounding the tarmac once your down.
depthhoar 25 Jan 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

Creag Meagaidh might tick most of your boxes?

It's on the geographical limit (next to the A86), very good snow-holing potential and some ridges of varying difficulty.

Day 1. Aberarder car park: walk up Coire Ardair to the loch below the main crags, then turn sharp SE and up towards Coire nan Gamhna - a lovely spot- (GR 445877) & ascend the broken ridge up R from the lochan. Gain the plateau and go for 'Meggie summit, or work your way carefully to The Window for your snowhole.
Day 2. Over Stob Poite Coire Ardair and follow the plateau to the Min Window, then onto to Carn Liath, descending to Aberarder.
(Variant: ascend excellent East ridge of Coire Chriochairein from Coire Ardair then overnight at The Window snowholes & the following day complete 'the round' descending via Sron a Ghoire to Aberarder.)

Other ridges: Creag Mhor ridge - rambling and indistinct to start, fairly gentle but a good way to the summit plateau. Also good snowholing potential just off this ridge (GR 445868). You'd need to start near Moy Lodge or, better still, from Coire Chomharsain - parking at Aberarder.

East ridge of Beinn a Chaorainn - bit of a schlep getting to the bottom of it but it's an airy Alpine-like ascent.

Other popular snow-holing spots in 'Meggie area: (GR 463903) - handy for the Carn Liath plateau area.

Needless to say, navigation and general mountaineering skills need to be to the fore for anything up high on 'Meggie.

Hope this helps!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...