UKC

Turbo Trainer Options

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PanzerHanzler 25 Jan 2014
I'm thinking of a turbo trainer of some description. Rollers (scary) or a "simple" turbo.

This caught my eye - a bit expensive but it looks quite good:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-turbo-muin-fluid-direct-fixing/

Anyone tried one - thoughts?
 Bob 25 Jan 2014
In reply to PanzerHanzler:

Maybe a bit on the expensive side if it's only for occasional use. We've one of these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/minoura-b60-trainer-with-remote/ and it handles reasonably regular use

ALC
 abr1966 25 Jan 2014

Id suggest having a go on one before buying! I bought a sacx something or other 2 years ago and it was used literally 2 times since....its sat in the loft ever since! So so dull!
 woolsack 25 Jan 2014

Someone posted up the Clarke simple turbos from Machine Mart, at £70 they look worth a punt unless you want to spend 300 quid on bells and buzzers of course
In reply to abr1966:

It's only dull if you simply sit there and pedal. After a few sessions like that you need to introduce variety, do a search for "turbo trainer sessions" and you'll find lots of workouts from half hour sprint intervals to two hour endurance threshold training. I've just finished a session, turns out it lasted fifty minutes but it went like this:
5 mins warm up
10 mins HZ3
5 mins recovery
5 mins HZ4
1 min recovery
Do the above twice
4 mins more recovery
2 min HZ5
30 secs recovery
Do the above three time
Warm down

So there's only one bit where you are going for any length of time without changing effort. You do need a HR monitor and cyclo computer though to get the best out of the sessions. I've a Garmin 510 and you can set up your own sessions on the computer and download them to the device then go to work getting fit. Having music playing helps with the mild tedium.

ALC
 Radioactiveman 25 Jan 2014
In reply to a lakeland climber:

The sufferfest videos are worth a look at , you get some of them free to use if you are a premium strava user.

As mentioned to get best use out of them/a turbo you need some way of measuring hr and cadence.

The elite volare mag is a good entry level turbo. A. It is a bit noisy and rough sounding but good resistance and a remote lever to vary resistance, picked mine up recently for half price @halfrauds

blurty 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Radioactiveman:

Another vote for sufferfest
OP PanzerHanzler 25 Jan 2014

I have completed a few tri's and am looking to boost my training a bit. I have been using a spin bike at the gym but sticking my own bike on a turbo is more appealing.

I have no problem with combating boredom - the workouts tend to be intense enough not be boring.

I like hilly courses but Suffolk doesn't offer many opportunities for this style of training - so any recommendations for hill style effort DVDs would be great. Will have a look at the sufferfest ones - cheers.

I've done the Lanzarote 70.3 for the last two years and would like to knock the time down bit this year. I have an eye doing the Lanzarote full IM and/or the Norseman at some point. IM UK 2013 was hard enough so need to man those legs up.
 KennyA 27 Jan 2014

Buy a decent basic turbo and then subscribe to Trainerroad.com For a bargain $10 per month you get virtual power software that requires a Garmin ANT+ cadence and speed sensor, an ANT+ 'usb stick'(various ones available but I use the Suunto because it is tiny and lives securely in my laptop.

Check out the website and everything is clear. I've used turbos and rollers for 30+ years and this has revolutionised the way I train. I used to use Powertaps and this system is better due to the huge library of workouts and complete training plans available at the click of the mouse. Baseline tests etc are all there. Not flawless but brilliant.

Enjoy!!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...