UKC

-20C... what trousers?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hey all,

I'm heading off to Siberia next month and I need some advice on trousers. Currently I can't decide between Powerstretch leggings or Primaloft.

Powerstretch PROS: Durable, easy to tuck into snow boots, useable in UK conditions more, can be paired very easily with my Pro Shell over-trousers.

Primaloft PROS: Much warmer than Powerstretch. Though way more expensive and a bit more fragile.

Am I being too stingy or could the Powerstretch work?

Thanks all
 fire_munki 25 Jan 2014
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Not been that cold, but could you combine warm thermal leggings, with your powerstretch trouser and some hard shells over those. Give you lots of layer to trap air and stay warm.

The hardshells would also provide a tougher layer, plus if its not as cold you can adjust remove layers.
 JayPee630 25 Jan 2014
What do you intend doing while wearing this?
Post edited at 13:45
 Mountain Llama 25 Jan 2014
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant: -20 c incl wind chill?

Jim C 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Mountain Llama:

> -20 c incl wind chill?

I was thinking that, my daughter is going , in March, which is 'warmer' than Feb apparently, she is not going to any mountains, and she was told to assume - 25 ( before wind chill) at low level.

As others have asked. It will depend on what your doing in -20 and also is that with chill.
I've been in that temp for several hours walking with just stretch trousers but moving fast, generating heat, with no problem. Would not however have wanted to stop for more than a few minutes though. Also been in -20 plus windchill with skiing and was so cold it was almost dangerous to be out as not generating heat as much.
Without knowing, the layering route seems to offer more choice and flexibility if active. If largely inactive I would be seeking primaloft or similar as part of the layering.

We are walking across Lake Baikal, pulling sleds. The max temp in the day should be -5C, at night possible temps as low as -30C. All this not including wind chill.

I guess a few layers are going to be important, perhaps both the Powerstretch and the Primaloft combined. I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry..!
 OwenM 25 Jan 2014

When working hard pulling a pulk, long johns and windproof softshell trousers. For when your stopped insulated trousers with full length side zips so you can put them on really quick are worth looking at.
 Chris Beck 25 Jan 2014

Have you looked into getting something like this.

http://montano.pl/index.php?id_product=79&controller=product#

An all in one thick powerstretch mid layer , its a great bit of kit.
Its so warm in fact , that unless its 20 or more below..i cant wear it for long walk ins.
If your camping , adds a massive boost to the sleeping bag.
 neuromancer 25 Jan 2014

Working hard, you'll be warm in warm boots, powerstretch leggings and pro shells.

Sitting still, you'll want insulated trousers.
Removed User 25 Jan 2014

At that temp. I generally just use my Ron Hills plus my over-trousers which are hard shell. I don't generally stop for too long (perhaps half an hour).

In truth, your legs don't seem to "feel" it as much although I once walked across a bridge in the city at -39 in just work trousers (about a 15 min walk) and the top of my legs reddened up and started to freeze. And before anyone asks, yes. this was a mistake
 TobyA 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Removed User:

I'd agree that whilst on the move it's pretty easy to keep your legs warm. It was -20 yesterday when i was ice climbing and I was fine with a pair of slightly longer in the leg 'sports' boxers (Decathlon, about a fiver), micro fleece trousers (Decathlon, a tenner) and hardshell salopettes. Some sort of down or insulated trousers will be nice for camping though.

If you are going fast (XC skiing, tour skating, cycling) windproof pants are good as you can frost nip your nads quite easily!
In reply to TobyA:

> you can frost nip your nads quite easily!

Primaloft it is, then!
Removed User 26 Jan 2014

TBH, -20 is really ok so long as you are moving and the sun is shining. As others have said its the windchill which can make it miserable.

I'd take a true -25 day over a -10 day that is -20 with the windchill.
 Ian Broome 26 Jan 2014

We went to Tibet a few winters ago. In the night it was down to -20 perhaps more. It was so dry though with no wind, my experience with cold is limited but I much prefered this cold to damp, windy scottish cold. I took powerstretch and vapourise trousers and was toasty. Maybe get a few pairs of thermals too. Worth taking a few options, nothing worth then being miserable.

Maybe a bit off topic... and never been to Siberia, but everytime i've been to Tibet China i've found the lack of black tea, coffee, fresh friut, veg and whole grain really played havoc with my digestive system. Pack the sennocot!

> We are walking across Lake Baikal, pulling sleds.

The other practical consideration I'd suggest is how much your legwear will restrict your movement. Restrictive legwear, such as a thick, insulating overlayer might make walking harder work.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...