UKC

Dry rock when it's raining heavily

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wizzy 25 Jan 2014
Where is a good bet for dry rock when it's raining during the winter?
 Choss 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Wizzy:

could you narrow the area down a bit
 Bulls Crack 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Wizzy:

Nowhere?
 fire_munki 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Wizzy:

Spain?
 Peakpdr 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Wizzy:

Isle of Naboombu
 The Pylon King 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Wizzy:

is this a riddle?
 Choss 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Wizzy:

im gonna say Tintern quarry, cos whatever the weather its a shitehole
 Jon Stewart 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Wizzy:

There's this brilliant crag that has classic 3* routes, sport and trad, throughout the grades that stays bone dry in the foulest of weather, and what's more hardly anyone knows about it and it's always quiet. oh wait a minute, there isn't.
 Reidy 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Oh you mean New Mills?
 Choss 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Reidy:

> Oh you mean New Mills?

no. stannington ruffs
 Jon Stewart 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Reidy:

According to some people I guess I do...
OP Wizzy 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

Anywhere in N yorkshire!
 Albachoss 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Wizzy:

As mentioned already, some of New-mills Torrs stays dry through heavy rain, mostly the harder trad except for a few easier routes under the bridge. The rest of the routes are well sheltered and generally stay dry unless the rain is 'proper' A decent amount of bouldering also stays dry too, as well as some of the sport routes up the inside of the bridge.

martinph78 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Wizzy:

Somewhere overhanging with plenty of overhanging trees above?

Hownsgill quarry perhaps...
 Anoetic 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Wizzy:

Carreg hylldrem
 Offwidth 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Choss:

Doesn't Stannington face roughly north. Its certainly not especially dry in rain as it's only protected by trees and a layer of rubbish and doesn't really overhang and the soil tops seep. Its also loose and generally exceedingly unpleasant and must be the shittest venue ever written up fully for a guidebook.

Back on subject there are a few reliable venues in the Churnett providing the rain is recent (so no seeps have formed) see the latest Roaches guide for details.
 ankyo 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Wizzy:

Ravenswick
 aricooperdavis 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Wizzy:

There is "The All Weather Gym" at Hodge Close Quarry, in the Lakes?

http://manage.hotscot.net/customer_images/FA00F036-E183-44C7-A38C-40C3F0D4F...
 Franco Cookson 31 Jan 2014
In reply to ankyo:

I've been asking myself this question most of this week. I haven't had a lot of luck, but then I was more looking at cleaning than climbing anyway. Highcliffe nab, a north facer that seeps was soaked, totally and utterly. Ingleby incline, a west facer that is exposed and seeps only a little bit was also soaked - by the end of this week totally wet all over. Danby Crag, a north facer in trees with some exposed buttresses, which tends to dry fairly quickly in summer was totally drenched all over.

Things that were dry - an overhung cavey bouldering dolerite choss quarry near kildale, with good drainage. Westerdale view quarry had some dry parts the other day, with some seepage. Just been back up there and it's roughly the same. Glaisdale was dry yesterday - well drained, but not that exposed.

I don't think Ravenswick will be dry, as it stays dry after heavy rain, but after a prolonged spell it seeps badly. I think the general rule is to pick somewhere that is well drained and hope!
 martinph78 31 Jan 2014
In reply to Franco Cookson:

Don't the Wainstones dry off pretty quickly if there is a breeze? Might be worth a look.
 MischaHY 31 Jan 2014
In reply to Wizzy:

Yep, pretty sure you mean New Mills
 tlm 31 Jan 2014
In reply to Anoetic:

> Carreg hylldrem

I had an amazing day there once, on the traverse, climbing in the rain, with a waterfall thundering down over the lip of the crag. We were just laughing in delight at a stolen day of climbing, while our mates went to the electric mountain! On the last pitch, mind you, I had water pouring in one sleeve and out of the opposite leg!

Franco Cookson 31 Jan 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

Parts yeh. Will be fairly cold like. Risk of damaging routes if the rock is saturated though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...