/ Bouldering mat.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
nick_har - on 25 Jan 2014
Hello,

Im looking at buying a bouldering mat and would like some advice ,it will be my first mat so want to make sure I don't waste my money and buy something that isn't suitable. The one I'm thinking of buying is this Grivel mat:

http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN7876&utm_source=Product_feed&utm_medium=go...

Does anyone know anything about this mat or used one? Would I be better off saving a bit more money and getting a more expensive mat?

Any thoughts welcome

Nick.
1poundSOCKS - on 25 Jan 2014
In reply to nick_har: Seems like good value to me. I was considering getting one as a mid sized second pad to complement my large main pad, but it seems perfectly adequate as a starter pad. Seems well made, not sure about the foam quality, which will determine it's longevity. I jumped on it a couple of times in Go Outdoors and I didn't get injured. :)
Brum_climber - on 26 Jan 2014
In reply to nick_har:

I nearly bought one of these when they were reduced even further in the go outdoors sale online. I'm really glad I didn't as I checked one out in store and thought the foam felt really poor quality, I wouldn't have been happy falling on it. I'd check out alpkits pads I've always been impressed with mine and think it's a much better pad than my more expensive metolius pad.
nick_har - on 26 Jan 2014
In reply to zloty_dziecko:

I haven't felt it yet, I'm hoping to get down to go outdoors at some point this week to have a look for myself. The big plus for me was the cost of the mat, but if the foam is not great perhaps I would be better off spending a few more pounds.

What do you look out for when buying a new mat? Is there anything I should look out for for tell tail signs of poorer quality?

BikeClimbWalk - on 26 Jan 2014
In reply to nick_har:

I bought one from my local gear shop as it was a silly low price, the foam is not as high quality as say Alpkit. But the biggest drawback is the yellow material, it is slippy. There have been a couple of times that I've dropped off the rock from only a metre high and ended up on my backside as my feet slipped from under me on landing.
In reply to BikeClimbWalk:

I've been to look at one today, I can see what you mean by the yellow bit being slippy. It felt quite different to the other mats they had in store, not as much grip.

I have had a look on alpki.com, they have this entry level one:

https://www.alpkit.com/products/phud

Does anyone know anything about this mat?

Thanks everyone for the help so far.

Nick
danm - on 26 Jan 2014
In reply to nick_har:

Make sure whatever you buy fits into your car. I prefer a folding design myself, there's a great deal on atm here: http://www.podsacs.com/climbing/stock-ccpodcp-pod-crash-pad.html
I'd get one myself if I hadn't just got a new DMM Highball
Charlie Noakes - on 26 Jan 2014
In reply to nick_har:

Hmmm... my feeling is that if its your first pad you might want something a little more substantial than the phud. Metolius bailout pad for 100 (go outdoors) is a good compromise between size, thickness and quality and easily fits in the boot of my brother's golf.
In reply to Charlie Noakes:

I looked at that one earlier.

I think it is between this one and the pod super crash pad (which has an amazing name)

http://www.podsacs.com/climbing/stock-ccpscp-pod-super-crash-pad.html

Both about the same price and size. Is there anyway of telling what the foam quality is like in both of them?

Nick.
Si dH - on 26 Jan 2014
In reply to nick_har:

Pod are good pads, thats as goos as the more expensive ones imho
Charlie Noakes - on 27 Jan 2014
In reply to nick_har:

Never used a pod mat and I've only had the bailout for a week or so. Its been on one trip and it seemed great... but no idea how the foam will last up.

One thing bearing in mind is people often carry gear stuffed inside the pad, in which case the bailout has a strap which tightens up the bottom of the pad to stop things falling out. Not sure if the pod has this but its a useful feature.

To be honest, I don't think you can go far wrong with either of them
iamniccage - on 27 Jan 2014
In reply to nick_har:

My advice is go for the best quality mat you can afford.. it will only cost you more otherwise when you are replacing your worn out cheap mat, whereas the more expensive one may have lasted longer.

By best quality is primarily foam, thickness and composition.

Have used a lot of mats over the time and currently own two

Metolius Boss Hogg mat and an Organic Full pad.

Organic you can only order on line but the foam is so much better than all of the other pads i have ever landed on. cost is about 150 with shipping so still good value.

The Metolius pads i find have good foam as well.

I have also used the grivel pad and found it to not be very good.. falling on to it from top of some boulders wasn't comfortable. also when it was slightly damp easy to land and slip and nearly did my ankle that way.

Hope that helps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.