UKC

Boot La Sportiva - is yours getting wetter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 murilolessa 25 Jan 2014
I have a pair of La Sportiva Evo boots that I have being using for the past 5 years and although they still look quite new I noticed that now they tend to look and feel much more wet, probably due to the fact that the layer of whatever is that it was on top is gone.

I wonder if anyone faced similar issues and could me advice on any sort of product that would be worth to be applied on them.

kind regards,

Murilo

martinph78 25 Jan 2014
In reply to murilolessa:
Just some Nikwax suede and leather proof should do the job (after a good clean and a brush with a suede brush perhaps).
Post edited at 21:16
 David Bennett 25 Jan 2014
In reply to murilolessa:

^^^^^^^^ this although it ruins the colour of your boots.
 Drew52 27 Jan 2014
In reply to murilolessa:

I'm having the same problem. I've had my la sportiva Nepal evos for 4 years and they are now letting in water, even after proofing them. I'm buying a different pair of boots ASAP. Not impressed!
 Nathan Adam 27 Jan 2014
In reply to murilolessa:
My Nepal Evo's are letting in water after a year of use and not what i'd call particularly heavy. Lyon Outdoor has offered to take them back for a look as EB won't have them without the receipt but this means I could be without my winter boots for quite a bit of time. Not best pleased really !
Post edited at 01:18
 nniff 27 Jan 2014
In reply to murilolessa:
At this juncture I would like to make a plea that people stop asking for Goretex liners for boots and instead demand well made boots that need proofing. Then maybe the manufacturers will listen and do something about it - apparently it's all our collective fault. If someone tries to sell me goretex lined boots i ask them what wrong with the rest of the materials that the boots need a sweaty, wafer thin liner.

Since welted boots seem mostly to be a thing of the past, leaking boots should also be a thing of the past. My standard Nepal Extremes, and their Scarpa Cumbre predecessors, well-slobbered in Nikwax from day 1, have never let a drop of water in. Waterproofness is far more important to me than a pretty colour, so the fact that they are now tan in colour rather than yellow is neither here nor there.

If you use fabric boots then good luck to you. They're quite a bit heavier when they're soaked through, I believe

Don't get me started on fabric linings.
Post edited at 09:36
cb294 27 Jan 2014
In reply to nniff:

My five year old, twice resoled Nepals have started leaking, too, despite generous Nikwax treatment. At the risk of softening up the leather, next try will be covering them in wax and putting them into an oven for an hour or so.

Wouldn´t mind if they go soft, though. They would still be good for regular mountaineering but it might help convince my wife that I really NEED these nice Phantom Guides.
CB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...