UKC

mold on bathroom ceiling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 itsThere 26 Jan 2014
So any suggestions for cleaning this off, i was thinking flash and some hard work. Is there anyway to stop it growing back. Ive not been in the flat very long. There is an extractor fan which works but isnt very effective.
 Mountain Llama 26 Jan 2014
In reply to itsThere:

Flash is good. Ventilation is the key, a better fan or open the window?
 gd303uk 26 Jan 2014
In reply to itsThere:

Bleach and a cloth, should remove the mold very easily .
 Paul Bowen 26 Jan 2014
In reply to itsThere:

cheapest solution

Re fill an empty spray container (you know your typical household sprays) with one quarter neat bleach (you can buy it for 59p etc.) top up with water shake and away you go, kills mould and bleaches at same time but only for so long.
It's hard at this time of year when it's cold and damp, venting the area is key but it difficult without leaving a window wide open and the bathroom door to increase the airflow especially if you are trying to keep the rest of the house warm!
 pec 26 Jan 2014
In reply to itsThere:

Mould is always a problem in bathrooms. The most effective method is not to let it grow in the first place which means good ventilation (could you upgrade the fan?) and being anal about wiping down the walls etc after showering with a window cleaners squeegee and flannel.
If it does grow you have to keep on top of it otherwise it penetrates too deep into grout, plaster etc and you'll never get rid of it.
You could also try this stuff
http://www.amazon.co.uk/HG-186050106-Mould-Spray/dp/B000IU40HQ/ref=sr_1_1?i...
I've never used it but I was amazed at how well their grout cleaner worked.
 jimjimjim 26 Jan 2014
In reply to pec:

Mould mad me....I do property maintenance for student landlords and studends know how to cultivate a bit of mould. Minimal heating, drying lots of clothes inside, lots of showers and crowded houses. H G mould spay is good but if the mould is well established it will only kill itfoff but won't remove the stain. Unfortunately the only way to get rid of staining is to paint it with some mould paint. Be careful not to get any spray on any fabric as it will bleach the colour out. I use a similar spray by Shower Doctor called Mould Cure which is a little cheaper but not much. It's basically bleach but does seem to work better. It's also worth checking if the ceiling is insulated which may help. Have fun...
OP itsThere 26 Jan 2014
In reply to all:

I think the extractor fan isnt working much when the bathroom door is closed, so I may start leaving it open a tad, post shower. That worked well today and made a difference. I will also try that spray, is there anything to look out for in tesco or asda to save me buying it off amazon. Its a very nice house that I am in and I dont want to move, however the mold has appeared within a few weeks. Dont mind a bit of work to keep it in a good condition since I will be here longterm.
 stewieb 26 Jan 2014
In reply to itsThere:

Depending on how big the bathroom is you might want to repaint the ceiling with bathroom paint which I think is a lot more mould resistant. It's a shame that landlords don't seem to bother paying the few quid extra for it (or decent quality mould resistant silicone sealant) given how common mould problems are.
 jimjimjim 26 Jan 2014
In reply to stewieb:

> . It's a shame that landlords don't seem to bother paying the few quid extra for it (or decent quality mould resistant silicone sealant) given how common mould problems are.

A lot do. A lot of Nottingham's student housing stock is quite good and quite a few landlords buy the best paints etc, in my experience.
 Toerag 27 Jan 2014
In reply to itsThere:

If it's black mould it's a condensation problem as black mould only grows where the water is pure i.e. not full of salts from rising/penetrating damp. The best way to stop it coming back is to ventilate and insulate.
 scott titt 27 Jan 2014
In reply to itsThere:

Change the fan for one with a humidistat (humidity sensor)
 KingStapo 27 Jan 2014
In reply to itsThere:

neat thick bleach and a cloth. Works perfectly and as cheap as it's going to get.
 ByEek 28 Jan 2014
In reply to itsThere:

We used to live in a house riddled with mould. It is dead easy to clean off. Buy a cheap bottle of bleach and then create a 30% bleach, 70% water (or thereabouts) mix in one of those spray bottles. Simply spray the mould (give it a good dousing) and then leave. After 30 minutes or so it will have gone. Reapply as required.

You can also get rid of mould in grout and silicone by simply pouring neat bleach on it and leaving to stand for a couple of hours.
 Sharp 28 Jan 2014
In reply to itsThere:

Bleach degrades if you mix it with water and put it in a squirty bottle so don't do that. Just wash it off with bleach now and wipe it down with a dry cloth once a week.
 Trangia 28 Jan 2014
In reply to itsThere:

Improve the through ventilation. It really needs to be constant (or at least for a couple of hours after you've showered) and not just when you shower. What's above the ceiling? Is it well insulated? A "cold" ceiling will invite more condensation on it's underside

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...