UKC

Ossian's Cave, Glen Coe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kwoods 26 Jan 2014
This could probably fit into a couple categories; who knows.

Can anyone shed light on this vertical cave on Aonach Dubh; that if it was formed by a block falling out (seems reasonable), then what happened to the block? That's a big chunk of rock to go totally missing. It's not somewhere in Loch Linnhe is it, carried out by some long gone glacier.....?

Just thought of this for the first time, and have no answers.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Jan 2014
In reply to kwoods:

Probably a fault line, the shattered rock has been eroded away over millennia and reduced to scree.

Chris
 Jack Frost 26 Jan 2014
In reply to kwoods:

Dougal Haston took it.

Part of it now forms the memorial stone in Currie

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2296480
 JJL 26 Jan 2014
In reply to kwoods:

My dad used to tell me stories of staying in it for weeks with his climbing club. I got the impression there were a few hell raisers there.

However it's always struck me as dank and uncomfortable.
OP kwoods 26 Jan 2014
In reply to Chris Craggs:

In that case wouldn't there be some kind of scree cone/talus?
OP kwoods 26 Jan 2014
In reply to JJL:

Would like to go up some time. Heard the floor is at a bit of an angle.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Jan 2014
In reply to kwoods:

Depends how long ago it was formed I guess.

Chris
 crustypunkuk 26 Jan 2014
In reply to kwoods:

I seems to remember my dad telling me stories about cub and scout groups bivvying in it. One fell to their death and its use has been frowned upon ever since. Dunno if that's accurate, but i have no reason to doubt it!
 Pids 26 Jan 2014
In reply to Jack Frost:

> Dougal Haston took it.

> Part of it now forms the memorial stone in Currie

Class, sheer class!
 Mark Bull 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> Probably a fault line, the shattered rock has been eroded away over millennia and reduced to scree.

Yes, it's a basalt dyke, and it probably has come out in small pieces rather than one big chunk. Alan Halewood has a good photo of it on his blog: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_nSKT0e9Ej7w/SJimrY-Hq-I/AAAAAAAABLQ/M3wnXc7F3MU/s...

Looks thoroughly unappealing as a bivvy spot, though: I'd maybe take some of those stories with a pich of salt!
Post edited at 09:02
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Mark Bull:

> Yes, it's a basalt dyke, and it probably has come out in small pieces rather than one big chunk. Alan Halewood has a good photo of it on his blog: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_nSKT0e9Ej7w/SJimrY-Hq-I/AAAAAAAABLQ/M3wnXc7F3MU/s...

Indeed, you can see it continuing above the cave.

> Looks thoroughly unappealing as a bivvy spot, though: I'd maybe take some of those stories with a pich of salt!

I thought that too, miles from the road, hard/dangerous to access, wet, loose and what looks like a very sloping base!

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...