UKC

Waterproof side zipped trousers question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Epke 26 Jan 2014

Hi everyone, my first post here. I'm looking to buy a pair of waterproof trousers with side zips for easy on/off, but I'm not sure about all the attributes.

Some questions I have:

[1] I see many trousers with 3/4 side zips instead of full side zips. Do 3/4 side zips work as well as full zips when taking the trousers on or off with boots+crampons or ski boots still on, or should I really look for the ones with full zips?

[2] I also noticed a difference in the inseam lengths from different brands. What are your experiences here?
For example:
- Arc'teryx 30,5 inch for small and medium Beta AR Pants.
- Mountain Equipment 31 inch standard
- Rab 33 inch for the Stretch Neo Pants (it mentions this for size L on their website, but not for other sizes - their size chart tells me that the regular leg length is 32 inches).
Post edited at 20:04
 GarethSL 26 Jan 2014
In reply to Epke:

full length zips are good for getting on over boots ect, but only if they completely undo at the waist and hem. 3/4 zips mostly came about to avoid discomfort along the waistline whilst wearing a harness.

IMO, unless you're hiking and plan to use waterproofs as a take on take off option them full length zips are idea. But for most winter applications trousers go on and stay on, but then its all down to personal preference and conditions at the time. Many like to walk in wearing one thing and suit up at the base of the climb. Others (such as myself) will leave the house suited and booted and wear the same system all day, taking advantage of the venting options that the leg zips allow for.

As for the in-seam lengths, well you have to go for what fits, many manufacturers don't offer short, medium or long in-seams. Though in recent years most have, but when they do, they're bloody hard to come by as most shops only sell whole sizes (e.g. large regular). Thus the sizing for individual companies grades upwards based on their interpretation of Small, Medium or Large means. But my experience says... try absolutely bloody everything on.
 crayefish 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Epke:

I use the full length zip and they're a godsend if you need to don quickly while wearing crampons. Though can be confusing when you have to find the other end out of the tarp kike structure when unzipped. I'd never use 3/4 length zips again.
 peebles boy 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Epke:

If you're going for full length zips, I have unfortunately found taht it is very important to check two things....

1) Fit of waist - is it elasticated/does it have a belt, or is it rigid?

2) How do they "stay together" when you unzip the zips to vent?

I say this, as I have got a pair of Montanes that are slightly too small (next size up was too big), with an elastic waist, and only lightweight "poppers" as fastening at waist. Result when I unzip to vent? Poppers pop and trousers fall down. Also, the poppers are a pain under the harness/rucsac strap. Not sure what the answer is, in terms of what other companies use as waist security, but I know I never had these problems with my Rab 3/4 length zips!!!
 Toerag 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Epke:

My Vaude full-length zip jobbies have metal hook/loop closures at the top (the sort you have on smart trousers) which work well. They zip downwards which works well, and have two way zips so you can ventilate or get to your pockets easily. I only use them for walking and won't get non-full length zip ones again as they're so good to use.
Shearwater 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Epke:

> [1] I see many trousers with 3/4 side zips instead of full side zips. Do 3/4 side zips work as well as full zips when taking the trousers on or off with boots+crampons or ski boots still on, or should I really look for the ones with full zips?

I wouldn't want to pull 3/4 zipped trousers on or off over crampons. I can't see that ending well. You might have a job getting them over your ski boots, too. Full length is the way to go.

> [2] I also noticed a difference in the inseam lengths from different brands. What are your experiences here?

Every brand has their own fit model. Visit a shop and try stuff on, see how it works for you; probably best to consider manufacturer's own measurements as a guideline.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...