UKC

Touring partner wanted - Scotland - 20th Feb for 2 weeks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DanMc 27 Jan 2014
Hi all,

Im wanting to head out to Scotland (Cangorms but open to travel around) for my first taste of ski touring towards the end of feb. Looking for anyone who might be heading out on tours that wouldn't mind me tagging along. I have been down hill skiing for a number of years and have got a lot of experience. To start out with I fancy going on some nice easy tours to get used to the walking bit but I would love to hit a few steep things if given the chance.

Fell free to ask any more questions about my self

Dan McIntyre
 Fiona Reid 27 Jan 2014
In reply to DanMc:

Might be worth posting this on the Winterhighland forum too - there's a fair number of us on both forums.

You say you are an experienced downhill skier which is great. What are you general mountaineering skills like? E.g navigating in crap weather or indeed good weather? This is much more important than skiing ability.

The skinning part is easy. Getting the skins off and on in typical Scottish conditions can be fun though....probably worth making sure you can do this with gloves on before heading out.

Do have a tranceiver shovel probe etc?

outdoorsperson 27 Jan 2014
In reply to DanMc:

Hi, I'm in a similar position and am looking to meet people to get out with. I am flexible on times so if interested feel free to contact me.
 Got a job rob 27 Jan 2014
In reply to DanMc:

Hi Dan, Rob Here. I did a glen-more lodge course last year and I hope to have 9days off starting the 22nd of Feb. I would not mind joining up with you to get out on the hill. I was planning on somewhere in the high lands between Perth and Inverness. But I can not confirm that I have the time off till next week. Rob
 MikeR 27 Jan 2014
In reply to All:

I'm keen to get plenty more touring in this winter. I'm happy skiing piested reds, although mostly self taught so probably with loads of bad habits. I've done about half a dozen ski tours, enough to realise it's a lot different to piested skiing! I'm happy to get down moderate-ish slopes (with good snow conditions) but nothing too steep yet. I've been winter climbing in Scotland for the last 13 years so happy with the navigation/general mountaineering skills.

I live in Aberdeen and am often free midweek, so if anybody doesn't mind taking out a relative novice give me a shout. I have shovel, probe and transiver (although only got the transiver at christmas and haven't had a chance to practice with it yet)

Mike

Cuthbert 27 Jan 2014
In reply to MikeR:

This may interest you: http://ibsc.org.uk/
 MikeR 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Saor Alba:

Thanks for that, it certainly looks interesting. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to make most of the trips they've got planned, the downside of shift working. I might try and get along on a few though.

Cheers.
OP DanMc 28 Jan 2014
Rob - Thanks for your message. Let me know when you have your free days and Im sure we can do something

Fiona Reid: I shall post on the Highland forums as well then I have got all safety gear and have had training on how to use everything. I am fairly good at navigation even in poor conditions and have got maps of the Cangorms.

Got a job rob 28 Jan 2014
In reply to DanMc:

Will let you know as soon as I know. Just to give you a little info on me, I have climbed to hvs, winter soloed to grade 2. Skied blacks, have spent a week off the betten track with guides in the cairngorms. I have run mountain marathons many times and am fairly good at nav. The only bit of kit I dont have is a avalanche beacon (but I am going to buy or rent one).
OP DanMc 31 Jan 2014
In reply to Got a job rob:

Awesome thats fine to me. just keep me updated. Is anyone else around for the rest of the time at all?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...