UKC

ice climbing insurance for Cogne

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gjd 27 Jan 2014
Any recommendations for this?
Is it necessary since medical costs should be covered by the E111 system?
 CurlyStevo 27 Jan 2014
In reply to gjd:

BMC Alpine and Ski insurance is only 60 odd quid for a week including skiing if you are already a member.
 Ramon Marin 27 Jan 2014
In reply to gjd:

get the austrian alpine club insurance , £40 a year, for the rescue and repatriation. Medical is all covered by E111, I was in Aosta hospital myself 3 weeks ago. BMC insurance will charge you £100 excess in medical
 GridNorth 27 Jan 2014
In reply to gjd:

E111 now called EHIC only covers you up to a point so you may need a top up as well as rescue and repatriation cover. The Austrian Alpine Club is very good, it also gives you 50% off hut accommodation, but it is not as comprehensive as the BMC. You have to weigh the benefits against the cost for yourself. I went to AAC several years ago when BMC Insurance costs went ballistic.
OP gjd 27 Jan 2014
In reply to gjd:

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. For a single trip STA at £41 looks best.
But the Austrian Alpine club deal is excellent.
 CurlyStevo 27 Jan 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

yup basicial AAC has lower limits on stuff, which is probably fine for roadside ice climbing and pisted skiing anyways although for summer alpine I thought some of the limits were a bit on the low side for me.

BMC membership card does get money off most / many huts too AFAIK.
 GridNorth 27 Jan 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> BMC membership card does get money off most / many huts too AFAIK.

Yes I have witnessed it being accepted in some huts which must be quite annoying to those who have gone to the trouble and expense of purchasing the BMC reciprocal rights card. This exists because the BMC do not have huts to reciprocate with.
 CurlyStevo 27 Jan 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

The reciprocal rights card is a waste of money isn't it as you can just purchase an AAC card for that and get other benefits on top for free.
 GridNorth 27 Jan 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has experience of AAC NOT providing sufficient cover.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...