UKC

Ski destination for inexperienced skiers at Christmas?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 27 Jan 2014
If you were looking for a ski destination suitable for a total novice for Christmas-New Year where would you look at? I'm looking for as near to dead certain conditions as possible as I wouldn't be popular if it turned into an ice/slush resort

Is Canada a good option?
 John Ww 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Somewhere with a glacier - Pitztal, Hintertux, Solden, Kaprun (Kitzsteinhorn), etc.

Given their nature, you'll find plenty of blues and reds rather than blacks, which makes them more novice-orientated.

HTH, JW
 GridNorth 27 Jan 2014

The best place I have been to which I would consider to be the most suitable for novices is Andorra. Not only is it relatively tame it's also cheap.
 Cuthbert 27 Jan 2014

Canada is a bad option is it's a long way away and expensive all in.

Tignes, Val d'Isere, La Plagne, Les Arcs etc are all fine for what you want. Hintertux is also good/
 Paul Bowen 27 Jan 2014

http://www.ledevoluy.com/hiver/fr/infos/en-direct-du-devoluy/webcams.html

this is down the road from me, it's about an hour and 50 mins from Grenoble Airport
It's ideal for novices,it was fairly quiet this Christmas and most of the runs where open given the warm start to the season, a day pass was €33 not sure what a week pass is but less than some of the big resorts, deals are available,
 liz j 27 Jan 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

> The best place I have been to which I would consider to be the most suitable for novices is Andorra. Not only is it relatively tame it's also cheap.
If you avoid Pas de la Casa that is. The place is so busy, and the runs are steep and the bars are dangerously cheap!! Soldeu would be a better place to stay and is prettier. However, the snow can be non existant.

Italy seems to have had good early season snow the last few years, although I have never skied there so don't know the resorts. You could also look at Les Arcs/La Plagne, both have a great area for beginners and advanced skiers. Don't dismiss Chamonix either, Le Tour is a great place to learn to ski and there are plenty of nice easy runs at the Brevent too. Chamonix is also high so better chance of good snow.
 Cuthbert 27 Jan 2014
In reply to liz j:

Chamonix high? It's one of the lowest.
 liz j 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Saor Alba:
The town my be low but the ski areas, Le Tour aside are high. I've skied there when other resorts have little snow. My sister learnt to ski there, even the Grands Montets was within her capabilities. I've skied there for the last 12 years. Like I said, Les Arcs is good too and have been there a fair few times.
 blurty 27 Jan 2014

Montgenevre is reliable for Christmas, plenty of easy runs to go at.

A bit cheaper than some as well
 Cuthbert 27 Jan 2014
In reply to liz j:

Not sure you are correct there. Tignes goes up to 3500m as does Val Thorens etc. Tignes le Lac, the town, is nearly 1000m above Chamonix.

Either way don't bother with the hassle of going to Canada!
 liz j 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Saor Alba:

I wasn't actually saying it was higher than other resorts like Tignes, if you read my post properly. The ski areas are high enough to ensure good snow compared to places like Morzine and Andorra. I was merely being helpful, no need to be so pedantic.
I can see now why I haven't bothered posting on here much lately..........
 maria85 27 Jan 2014

Canada also has a high probability of being chuffin freezing around xmas/new year. Not only is -20 unpleasant, but they'll shut the lifts below around -30. I imagine the cold is even worse for a novice as they won't be moving enough to keep warm.
 Cuthbert 27 Jan 2014
In reply to liz j:

I'm not being pedantic. Just pointing out that Chamonix is neither high as a town or for the skiing (if you stay on piste). It's great though. Stay safe in these conditions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...