UKC

What are these skis worth?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 George Fisher 27 Jan 2014
A customer has given me a pair of Salomon crossmax 8p 180cm skis with S810 bindings and some Salomon boots in my size. Very nice of him.

Are they any good? I'm 5'10 and 11 stone. Are these suitable for me and what are they worth if not?

Would they work as touring skis with diff bindings and boots, this appeals more than DH skiing. Or not worth changing bits over?

Shearwater 27 Jan 2014
In reply to George Fisher:

Looks like an intermediate skinny piste ski from 2002. I very much doubt it would be worth trying to use them as a touring ski.
OP George Fisher 27 Jan 2014

He said they were 10 years old so that's about right. Maybe with some silvretta bindings I could use them for skinning around the fields near me in my climbing boots just for fun. It's slightly rolling hills so I wouldn't need to 'downhill' at any point.

Can one just drill holes in skis to put bindings on? I'm clueless about all this.

Mind you there's no snow so it's kinda irrelevant atm.
Shearwater 27 Jan 2014

Mounting and removing bindings isn't rocket science. Plenty of guides out there on the internet. All you have to do is practise on a slice of wood beforehand Wouldn't cost you much to have them professionally installed and set up, either.
 xoran 30 Jan 2014

I've no idea what they're worth, but I have a pair of these and I wouldn't fancy touring on them. They're a bit heavy and a bit skinny. It could be done, but I'm not sure you'd enjoy the process.
Also, if they have the pilot mounting system (the binding mounts into the side of the ski instead of the top) it might be more of a task getting a touring binding on there?
Its up to you, but I'm not sure it would be worth it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...