UKC

Ring of Steall this weekend ???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Percy2012 27 Jan 2014
Hello - I'm thinking of walking the ring of Steall this weekend. How difficult is it in full on winter conditions? I've done the CMD arete in March when there was a fair bit of snow - but not sure if this is a completely different ball game or not!!
 Jamie B 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Percy2012:

I'd say the Devil's Ridge is a tangible step up from the CMD - narrower, more exposed and definitely not a good idea on a windy day. The whole itinerary is quite long and committing, you need an early start and in heavy snow conditions it might not be a good choice.
 JohnnyW 28 Jan 2014
In reply to Percy2012:

I would say it is indeed a different ball game. You would also find An Gearanach quite a challenge in these conditions I suspect too.

Doing the wider walk over Mullach nan Coirean (sp?) and Stob Ban would be good, and then if it's too challenging you can cut off back down to the glen at that point. If not, you can go over just the Devil's and descend, or miss that and continue. If you get as far as Am Bodach, there's no easy way down other than going South, or re-tracing your steps to the Ban/Iubhair bealach if I recall.
In reply to Percy2012:

check out the SAIS website first, there's some dangerous windslab about at the moment
Percy2012 28 Jan 2014

Thanks Johnny & everyone, I'll get the map out and have a look at these suggestions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...