UKC

Making a go-kart

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wendy Watthews 28 Jan 2014
Hi, Bit of an odd question but are there any foot pedal boxes/assemblies that you can connect directly into a bike hydraulic brake system in place of the hand brake leavers or will I have to make my own?

Thanks
 Jordon Fleming 28 Jan 2014
In reply to Wendy Watthews: hey Wendy worked a few years a a go karting track and might be able to help you but dont understand were your coming from. what brakes are you trying to fit ? along with what disk ?

gethin_allen 28 Jan 2014
In reply to Wendy Watthews:
If you make your own it would probably be advisable to reduce the mechanical advantage on the master cylinder using a shorter lever than would normally be used on a hand lever just because the force you could apply through a foot would probably be enough to knacker the lever assembly.
 woolsack 28 Jan 2014

> Hi, Bit of an odd question but are there any foot pedal boxes/assemblies that you can connect directly into a bike hydraulic brake system in place of the hand brake leavers or will I have to make my own?

> Thanks

Yes, oddly enough, go-kart ones are cable operated from the pedal to the master cylinder
In reply to Jordon Fleming:

The kart isn't for a go kart track, but for a race where you have to build your own kart, so far were planning to use a set of avid brakes and some disks ( the front wheels are going to be mounted cantilever from two head sets we've welded to either end of the chassis) the problem is I can only find substantial hydraulic pedal assemblies but none suitable for this application
 Jordon Fleming 28 Jan 2014
In reply to Wendy Watthews: im with you now, and the above posts are pritty much what i would say but it would be easier to run cables to a pedal than it would be to sort you own pedal conversion for hydraulic.

Thanks
 jkarran 29 Jan 2014
So you're making a soapbox kart with hydraulic front brakes?

Can't you just keep the hydraulic brake sets intact and use the standard levers on the steering bar/tillers/wheel? If you want to ensure equal work done by each brake you could get the master cylinder from a moto-x rear brake (comes with a pedal which could be useful), that should be very roughly the right bore to actuate two mountain-bike calipers but you'll probably struggle to find off the shelf hydraulic fittings to plumb it all together.

Failing that I'd mount the intact mountain bike levers with their reservoirs in the chassis and cable/rod link a pedal to the finger levers which gives you the opportunity to add stops and or a spring or kinked rod to limit the load you can apply to the master cylinders.

jk
Post edited at 09:55

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...