UKC

Black Diamond Impulse Glove

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martinph78 28 Jan 2014
Anyone got a pair? How are they holding up? Can you get them on when wet? Windproof?

I've tried them in store and think they should meet my needs but can't find any reviews or long-term feedback.

I have the BD stormlight glove (windstopper fleece and leather palm), purchased in Peru 6 years ago. They are brilliant gloves and super tough (scrambling, rope work, etc), hence wanting to stick with the brand. However they are only good for dry conditions because when they get wet they take forever to dry and are freezing cold as there isn't any insulation inside (just a wind stopper membrane). On Sunday when scrambling in melt-water I put a spare pair of power stretch gloves under them as a liner, but I didn't like the combination (although they were warm despite being soaking wet).

The impulse glove looks like it meets my needs. It'll be used for UK (so wet) climbing/scrambling/hiking with poles, and stuffed in a pair of mitts on summits and belays.

Any feedback welcomed. Not really looking for an alternative brand as I have tried and looked at others, but I would consider an alternative glove from Black Diamond.

Thanks,
Martin
 James Gordon 28 Jan 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

Brilliant for me. Fit, warm when wet, inner never pulls out. Thumb durability questionable though. Already had to do some repairs
 George Fisher 28 Jan 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

I have the old version with an unlined palm. I wear a thin merino liner if it's cold. The pile insulation is fixed so you can't pull it out unlike some punishers I tried. The new one has insulation on the palm I think. this sounds perfect. Fairly warm when wet too. (Apart from that palm against an axe(hence liner glove)

Mine are 6-ish years old, done 4-5 weeks of ice and several general trips. Done a bit of stitching and nikwax on the palms. Just starting to blow on the seams this year but got some life left. Seam grip next round of repair. Nice and dexterous and warm enough for a few degrees below. I wear mitts to belay.

I'll get another pair when these die...
OP martinph78 28 Jan 2014
In reply to James Gordon:

> Brilliant for me. Fit, warm when wet, inner never pulls out.

Sounds perfect, just what I wanted to hear

> Thumb durability questionable though. Already had to do some repairs

That's a shame though. Is it a stitching problem?

Cheers, Martin
OP martinph78 28 Jan 2014
In reply to George Fisher:

Thanks George. I'm going to get a couple of pairs of thin liners to leave in my pack anyway so will have them if needed. I've given up trying to dry gloves at camp so think switching liners on the summit or at camp could be the way forward (for the weight and price it's got to be worth a try)!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...