UKC

Top Gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 28 Jan 2014
Anybody looking forward to three grey haired old men pretending that they are 10, kicking off on Sunday?

Personally, I think that they have hit Last of the Summer Wine territory and need to be put out to pasture for their own good.
 crayefish 28 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Love Top Gear. Can't wait! I find that people often don't find they are funny as they take it as some serious car show with valid opinions... they are just three old men having a lot of fun in ways that we would all like to but can't.
In reply to crayefish:

True.

Who wouldn't like to drive around racetracks in fast cars? I know I would.
 The Pylon King 28 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

I think its very funny
 crayefish 28 Jan 2014
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Especially drive to the north pole or their Africa trips. Ok, so most of the comedy is staged but I don't think it makes it any less funny.
 Mike Stretford 28 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Not bad but could have been punchier...

> Anybody looking forward to three grey haired old men pretending that they are 10 on Sunday? Nope, not a repeat of Last of the Summer Wine.....Top Gears back (Ba Dum Tish)

stewieatb 28 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

As long as they don't actually put a bathtub on castors I'll probably enjoy it.
 The New NickB 28 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I'm not generally a Top Gear hater, but the 'new' format must be 13/14 years old now and it is all starting to look a bit tired and desperate.
In reply to crayefish:

> they are just three old men

Oi. They aren't *that* old. One of them is younger than me...

T.
Harrumph, youth of today, and so forth.

crayefish 28 Jan 2014
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Ok... so a little generalisation and artist license there
 Run_Ross_Run 28 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Really enjoy the programme tbh. Its about the only thing on tv I look forward to watching.
Cant wait.
 bluebealach 28 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

> Anybody looking forward to three grey haired old men pretending that they are 10, kicking off on Sunday?

You're just jealous.....yep, me also!!

In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> True.

> Who wouldn't like to drive around racetracks in fast cars? I know I would.

And get paid for it!~
 Skyfall 29 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I think they may have jumped a reasonably priced car over a big carnivorous fish like animal some time ago...

In reply to The Lemming:
> Anybody looking forward to three grey haired old men pretending that they are 10, kicking off on Sunday?

Ageist! Why should they have to act like grey haired old men? What would be the point. Isn't half the entertainment value of the show to see grown men acting like cocks because they can? I am envious of them for having the lifestyle they have just for doing what half of the men of my age would do if they were given the chance. (I'd rather be a rock/metal god, but still, I wouldn’t 't say no to being a top gear presenter.)

> Personally, I think that they have hit Last of the Summer Wine territory and need to be put out to pasture for their own good.

Again, what's with the ageism?

(Context: I'm a year older than Clarkson, 4 years older than May, and ten years older than Hammond. I'm not grey, not an old man, and certainly don't act my age given half a chance.)

imkevinmc 29 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Most downloaded program on BBC iplayer and a worldwide hit.

I think it'll be around for a while yet.
Graeme G 29 Jan 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> I am envious of them for having the lifestyle they have just for doing what half of the men of my age would do if they were given the chance.

Mmmmm self fulfilling irony.

crayefish 29 Jan 2014
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

> Mmmmm self fulfilling irony.

Does that mean I would have endless ceaseless shirts?
In reply to The Lemming: I totally diagree, they've long since given up the pretence of reviewing cars and they are just doing what I (and many others) would really like to do...mostly in fast cars in great places. Most sniping at TG is simple envy.

OP The Lemming 29 Jan 2014
In reply to Frank the Husky:

I too like Top Gear, but its gone stale. It needs jazzing up, because 14 years of the same format is getting repetative. Re-runs on Dave does not help matter either with over exposure.

And on that bombshell.
 Dax H 29 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:
Every series is more scripted and less funny than the last, it would be far better to just let them get on with having a laugh and see how things develop.
James Jackson 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Dax H:

I asked a question of a Top Gear producer I met recently, interested in how much of their 'specials' is scripted, and how much as it happens. He reckoned it was about a 10/90 split in the favour of the stuff that happens.

Somebody checks the route is drivable, they work out a few places to hit and what timelines, and the rest just occurs. Takes about 6 months planning for each, apparently.
 The New NickB 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Frank the Husky:

They gave up reviewing cars when the old format was scrapped! The fact that the Clarkson / May / Hammond entertainment format is getting tired is nothing to do with envy.

It would be quite nice to drive a super car across Europe, personally I would find it much less nice if I had been doing it three or four times a year for over a decade. Same applies to the level of entertainment derived from watching the same person do it three or four times a year for over a decade, making the same jokes.
 graeme jackson 30 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Quite a good interview with the producer in next week's radio times. Sums the programme up as appealing to our inner 9 year old.
Just glad it's back as there's been f*ck all worth watching on TV since the last series finished. (except maybe great railway journeys with michael portillo)
 FactorXXX 30 Jan 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

It would be quite nice to drive a super car across Europe, personally I would find it much less nice if I had been doing it three or four times a year for over a decade.

Bit like the way that climbers get tired of going on climbing trips?
The filming bit might get tiresome, but I bet they still get a thrill each time they get to drive a different car and in a different environment.
In reply to FactorXXX:

Does anyone know if there is any change in format? Or are we just assuming it's the status quo
 The New NickB 30 Jan 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:

> It would be quite nice to drive a super car across Europe, personally I would find it much less nice if I had been doing it three or four times a year for over a decade.

> Bit like the way that climbers get tired of going on climbing trips?

Maybe if you are mad about cars, but the success of Top Gear is not because it reaches out to the car obsessives.
 graeme jackson 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:
> (In reply to FactorXXX)
>
> Does anyone know if there is any change in format? Or are we just assuming it's the status quo

According to the radio Times interview I mentioned above it's business as usual (with bigger explosions)

Cambridge-Climber 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> Does anyone know if there is any change in format? Or are we just assuming it's the status quo

They're getting Status Quo to present it??

That'll just be the same old stuff, again and again and again....

I'll get my coat
In reply to The New NickB: When Top Gear used to appeal to car obsessives

youtube.com/watch?v=d6bD1aoXHkw&

Classic Clarkson
OP The Lemming 02 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Well, tonight's episode was more an excercise in endurance than entertainment.

Well it is sunday night, and there is no competition, or humour for that matter.

Just going through the motions.
In reply to The Lemming:

Agree, it felt like a repeat on Dave. Pretty tedious, will be interested to see how the press react to it. Hopefully next week is better

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...