UKC

Scandinavia - home of alcoholic, xenophobic depressives.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FrankBooth 28 Jan 2014
Reading this article, I'm beginning to see how Scotland will fit in quite nicely...
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/27/scandinavian-miracle-brutal-tr...
(disclaimer: my tongue is firmly in cheek - interesting to read the comments slaying the writer's apparent sloppiness)

Doug 28 Jan 2014
In reply to FrankBooth:

But he does have a book to sell....
(which having read theses extracts I'll avoid buying)
Removed User 28 Jan 2014
In reply to FrankBooth:

Nice one .

SethChili 28 Jan 2014
In reply to FrankBooth:

Stop ruining my idea of a snow covered utopia covered in nice colorful houses and inhabited by pretty blondes . I must keep my illusion intact !
Besides , I'm contemplating studying in Norway and need to keep telling myself it is a good idea .
 HakanT 28 Jan 2014
In reply to FrankBooth:
Smiling and nodding in agreement. I'm Swedish, btw.
cap'nChino 28 Jan 2014
In reply to FrankBooth:

Quite an amusing little article. Quite liked the short piece on Iceland.
 TobyA 28 Jan 2014
In reply to FrankBooth:

For years my blog and twitter feed has been saying those sort of things about Finland. I guess I should have tried to get a book deal earlier!
 Postmanpat 28 Jan 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> For years my blog and twitter feed has been saying those sort of things about Finland. I guess I should have tried to get a book deal earlier!

As far as I can tell there is a serious lack of an informed and objective English language analysis of the Scandanavian model. Perhaps you can point me in the right direction? If not, go for it!
 Al Evans 29 Jan 2014
In reply to Postmanpat:

Hmmmm! I always put the Scandanavians high suicide rate down to long winters and SAD, but frankly even the Spanish seem to suffer from SAD, I certainly do which is why I would never move to Scandanavia and I'm seriously worried about moving back to the UK!
ccmm 29 Jan 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Go winter climbing. It's all about the light hitting the back of one's eyes.

I've not been afflicted since getting out in the hills regularly in the darker months.
 TobyA 31 Jan 2014
In reply to Postmanpat:

On Sweden "Fishing in Utopia" by Andrew Brown (IIRC) is a very nice book (doubly so if you are interested in fishing, which I'm not).
kmulvany 31 Jan 2014
In reply to FrankBooth:

Sooo true, lived in Sweden for 10 years. I moved out of the country as soon as I turned 18, never looked back.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...