UKC

Toe caved in phantom guides

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cameron94 28 Jan 2014
So I did the thing you're never meant to do and force dried my boots at what I thought was a really low temperature (before someone turned the radiator up, the heat has caused the toe of my scarpa phantom 'cave in'.

By cave in I mean there is now a ridge on the inside of the boot that presses in to the foot, it's possible to press the ridge back out but it then sticks back in toward the foot.

Has anybody else had the same issue? How did you fix it?

ColdWill 28 Jan 2014
In reply to Cameron94:

All my friends who climb ice have this. I did this to my first pair and it's nothing to do with the heat, it's kicking into the ice. If you climb ice as opposed to mixed sou will be kicking your front points in and will not be able to help the toe box getting bashed as the ice is never uniform. Basically the toe box isn't strong enough, climb ice = collapsed toe box.
I sent my first pair back to mountain boot company and got a refund, it was when they first came out. Every pair I see on ice climbers have this, from guides to weekenders, I'm surprised it doesn't get mentioned that much but I put it down to not much ice action in the UK and the relatively few days people get out overall.
 xplorer 28 Jan 2014
In reply to Cameron94:

I'd maybe try heating as you did before, upside down with something inside forcing the point outwards. That's probably your best bet. Either that or ask your local shoe repairs????
 Andrew Lodge 28 Jan 2014
In reply to Cameron94:

It might be worth wetting it again, really soaking it, sit the toe in water for several hours to get it wet through then stuff newspaper in the toe to force the toe back into shape and allow it to dry naturally.

It might not work and it might make thigs worse so don't blame me but that is possibly the best option.
 ColdWill 28 Jan 2014
In reply to Andrew Lodge:
its probably thermo plastic, there is no cure once its split.
 Ben Watts 29 Jan 2014
In reply to Cameron94:

I had the same dramas with a brand new pair after 3 days ice climbing in Cogne a fortnight ago.

Returned them to the original place of sale who have then forwarded them onto scarpa.

Pic here:

https://plus.google.com/photos?pid=5974438441594413810&oid=107019821827...
 crayefish 29 Jan 2014
In reply to Cameron94:

Perhaps one of those old school boot/shoe expanders they used for old leather riding boots? That combined with careful use of a hair dryer might sort it.
 ColdWill 29 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

how?
 crayefish 29 Jan 2014
In reply to ColdWill:

One of these jobbies...

http://img0.etsystatic.com/035/0/6763948/il_340x270.521533860_p3mo.jpg
http://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/5801345/il_340x270.251832590.jpg

They are designed to keep leather shoes in shape. If you heat the toe with a hair dryer (to soften the rubber) and fit one of these, it might push the rubber out. As the rubber hardens as it cools, it might set in its original form.
 ColdWill 29 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

Having done a bit with ski boots I think the localized temp would damadge the glue, maybe using one of them and injecting some sort of epoxy? I think it's a long shot whatever you try. I have a pair on order and will be gluing some rock shoe rubber to the front to try and extend the life. Hopefully the new Rebels don't have the same issue.
I've seen toe caps go on quite a few boots but never as many as the Phantom and Mont Blanc. Carbon fibre toe caps I say.
 crayefish 29 Jan 2014
In reply to ColdWill:

Good point. But if the damage was done originally by heating, then what has he got to loose as the glue is likely to be damaged anyway? And doesn't have to be 'hot' but just warm enough to make the rubber more pliable.
 ColdWill 29 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

I don't think the heating had anything to do with it, its just when it was noticed.
 crayefish 29 Jan 2014
In reply to ColdWill:

Ah ok! I was just going on this from the OP... "the heat has caused the toe of my scarpa phantom 'cave in'" If it's from kicking ice then yeah, my idea probably wouldn't work.
 ciaran1999 29 Jan 2014
In reply to Cameron94:

Take it any good outdoor shop and they'll be able to push it back out or remould it. They'll heat it with steam from a kettle and use an iron bar to reshape it, should be fairly simple
 muppetfilter 30 Jan 2014
In reply to ciaran1999:

No outdoorshop of worth would ever dream of doing what you suggest, if some Idiot came at my boots with a kettle I would do something with the Iron bar they would regret for years to come. The best advice is to take the boots back and see if it is a manufacture/design fault.
 ColdWill 30 Jan 2014
In reply to ciaran1999:

The toe cap is split under the rubber, you might reshape it but then you can just push it back in with your thumb. Like a split ski boot, no can fix.
OP Cameron94 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Cameron94:

Cheers for all your advice guys.

Taken them in to a shop today to see if they can send them back to MBC as I bought them direct.

Fingers crossed I can get something sorted or I'll spend the rest of the season in super flexible and leaky B2's.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...