UKC

Bouldering walls near Copley/Halifax

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DaveDaveDave 29 Jan 2014

Can anyone recommend some good climbing walls in or around Halifax with more focus on the bouldering aspect rather than sport?

Moving from the North East (and Climb Newcastle) to Halifax soon so looking for somewhere with decent problems and a nice rotation schedule.

Thanks.
Post edited at 17:23
 Bulls Crack 29 Jan 2014
In reply to DaveDaveDave:
ROKT Brighouse (which is about to get a circuit room) and Huddersfield are the nearest

Rochdale and Leeds (3) not too far

Oh and Crossflats - quite close and quite nice
Post edited at 20:25
 Offwidth 30 Jan 2014
Woodhouse scar on the edge of Halifax is one of the best urban year round venues going, partly as some bouldering there stays dry even in rain (subject to the wind direction etc). It has major litter problems but volunteers keep the bouldering and climbing pretty clean and bramble free. Not much further you have Bridestones, everything in the Widdop/Heptonstall area, all the huddersfield area bouldering. Inside is for when it rains heavily.
Post edited at 09:53
 EBclimbing 30 Jan 2014

Worth heading over to the Depot in pudsey as well, probably one of the better bouldering walls in the North (I would say that, I work there). I used to live in Hebden and getting the train in is easy and quick.
 Bulls Crack 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

Inside is for when it rains heavily.

Like now!
 EBclimbing 31 Jan 2014

And a second vote for woodhouse scar as being a great spot outside year round. A mate and I climb there with our toddlers for spotters, works great!

Bulls Crack 31 Jan 2014
In reply to EBclimbing:

And don't forget West Vale!
DaveDaveDave 31 Jan 2014

Cheers for the replies. ROKT and Depot look alright and look quite easy to get to from Sowerbys Bridge.

What is the quality of climbing like in them? I mean, is it looked after and rotated frequently with friendly staff/customers, or is it grubby holds that have been there forever run by numpties and copious amounts of shirts-off-teenagers?

Is the outdoor stuff there easily accessible for quick climbs after work? Unfortunately I wont be there for the weekends as I would be heading back up North to be with the other half.

Would like to think I could get outdoors bouldering done while down there, it's something that eluded me in the NE due to the ~1 hour drive to most places and then the walk-in's. Was never enough time to squeeze a productive session in after work.
 cheese@4p 31 Jan 2014

Congratulations you live near to West Vale!

Rokt is truly excellent for bouldering as well
 haworthjim 31 Jan 2014

The walk in to woodhouse is huge! Sometimes it can take 15 seconds) (crag top parking perfect for after work).
 Offwidth 01 Feb 2014
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Even in this shit winter it doesn't rain all the time. I've ticked a few new crags from the Kirklees Climbing online guide this winter and want to get back soon. I visit Woodhouse Scar at least once a month as I've written it up for the forthcoming YMC guide and try to do my bit to keep it tidy... never been there ever when something wasn't climbable but I never go there in horizontal lashing rain.
 Bulls Crack 01 Feb 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

I was looking out of the window when I wrote that....sunny now!
DaveDaveDave 02 Feb 2014

I'm liking the sound of this. I've got a Font trip in 10 weeks and this could be good training so eager to get down there now.

What guidebook is best to get for the area?
 hoodmonkey 02 Feb 2014

The Cameron-Duff Yorkshire Gritstone guide is pretty comprehensive for Woodhouse, if you don't mind V-grades. Also some of the higher grade stuff was still unclimbed back then, so doesn't have a grade or description. The Total Climbing guide will fill in the gaps, although some of the grades are a bit on the tight side in it *cough* Mango *cough* Ian's Traverse *cough*

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...