UKC

Fjallraven Prices

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
king_of_gibraltar 29 Jan 2014
I love Fjallraven clothing and kit, it's not the lightest kit about but it's tough, super durable and doesn't look like it's from Star trek.

Why are they so expensive though? Seriously what justifies those prices?
 sargy 29 Jan 2014
In reply to king_of_gibraltar:

I just bought a Singi Lift jacket from Trailblazers online for £190 down from £295. Has since been reduced to £160. Doh!
 Droyd 29 Jan 2014

This is largely speculation/vague observation built on generalisation, and possibly not a particularly good answer, but; in Sweden, pretty much every child, when sent for their first day at school, is equipped with a Fjällräven backpack like this one: http://babyccinokids.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/fjall_backpack-1.jpg
As a retro throwback kind of deal, these then seem to get dusted off by the same people fifteen years or so later, and it's impossible to spend a day in a Swedish university campus without seeing one. They also seem to be quite commonly used as a hiking pack, even though the straps on them are horribly uncomfortable; regardless, it seems like the Fjällräven brand is, in the minds of many Swedes, the outdoor equipment maker par excellence, which could explain the exorbitant prices - The rucksack in the picture above sells for approximately £90 in Swedish outdoor shops!
Interesting, I noticed when I was last back in the UK that the trend seems to have caught on with certain hipster elements there; possibly it's analogous to the chavs who wear North Face, with the wearer hoping to project an air of Scandinavian sophistication?
 sbc_10 29 Jan 2014
In reply to DBoothroyd:

> to the chavs who wear North Face

I thought it was BBC journalists and film crews who wore the 'de rigour' North Face. ( usually black puffer ).

Hannes 30 Jan 2014

outdoor gear in sweden is generally a fair bit more expensive and the fjällraven prices are on par with the general prices there but obviously more expensive than brits are used to. Great example, DMM dragons go for about £60-£70 at the biggest online outdoor retailer. A triple pack goes for well over £150. All the prices seem to be like this and I'm guessing when rosker took them on they put them in the premium bracket and left the margin high
 nathan79 30 Jan 2014

I picked up a Fjallraven Greenland parka last year, £100 down from £220. It's a nice well made jacket(though clearly made for long-limbed, skinny Swedes.
Does seem like the sort of stuff that'll last years, but I don't know if that's enough to justify the high pricetag. Though it may be hard wearing stuff is certainly not light weight, I couldn't see myself using much of their stuff when active in the hills.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...