UKC

Atlantic coast storm damage?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 oakapple 30 Jan 2014
Following the storm and now the "swell" has settled, has anyone noticed any major rockfalls, boulder movements or route damage, along the Atlantic coast?
 Iain Peters 30 Jan 2014
In reply to oakapple:

Gareth Palmer has photos of a rockfall in the vicinity of The Skirmish at Carn Gowla, and http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25639777 also has some before and after shots of various rock features in the region. Generally speaking the Atlantic Coast hasn't suffered too much, but as far as I know nobody has actually been to many of the major crags. The Culm has seen a few rock/mud slides but again no news of anything climbable being affected. Sharpnose is still there!
OP oakapple 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Iain Peters:

Hi Iain, do you know about anything further down I have wanted to get out and see the coast from Porthgwara up, the pictures of Sennen were pretty spectacular http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276272/bin... . We have got a new 3 week old addition to the family, so he is keeping us pretty busy at the moment. Hopefully be getting out again in the spring?

Iain Peters 30 Jan 2014
In reply to oakapple:

Congratulations! David Hope is usually out and about on The Lizard, if that's of any interest, but probably the local W Cornwall guidebook team will be checking stuff out to make sure it's all still there. Land's End itself must have taken a fair old beating and the rock is not so solid as Sennen.
OP oakapple 31 Jan 2014
In reply to Iain Peters:

Looks things are going to be shaken up again as Hercules II rolls in!! http://www.westbriton.co.uk/Hercules-II-Flood-warning-entire-coast-Cornwall...
 Tom Last 31 Jan 2014
In reply to Iain Peters:

I have to go and check on Trewavas & Bashers Harbour, but I think I might as well wait for the next lot to roll through now

My money's on Land's End having lost the odd bit.

OP oakapple 31 Jan 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

Hi Tom I reckon you are right about Lands End. I also wouldnt be suprised if a bit more will be gone from the Stone Boom Traverse at Prodennack and also the boulders at the bottom of Gande plage, will have been rumbling around.

Ps did you get any good photos of Hercules I?
 Tom Last 31 Jan 2014
In reply to oakapple:
> Hi Tom I reckon you are right about Lands End. I also wouldnt be suprised if a bit more will be gone from the Stone Boom Traverse at Prodennack and also the boulders at the bottom of Gande plage, will have been rumbling around.

> Ps did you get any good photos of Hercules I?

Hi James(?) Funny you should say that. The photo on the West Briton page that you've linked to is one of mine, but very badly cropped and not of Hercules, but of the swell just before St Jude's from down at Sennen - appears they just use it as a stock photo now. Didn't manage to get out beyond Meva' during Hercules as I had to cover the limited damage down this way. I did go for a walk to Sharpnose just afterwards however and the cliff top by GCHQ was covered in spume - crazy stuff.

Good point re' Stone Boom, that'd be a shame, still maybe Grande Plage would have become achievable again for me!

PeteG also wondered about the Zawn Rinny boulder bridge etc, could have been some changes there.

Dread to think what Fistral's gonna look like after round 2...
Post edited at 11:07
 cornishben 31 Jan 2014
In reply to oakapple:

some damage at Godrevy, although nothing on the same scale as when UrHot fell down last winter..
OP oakapple 31 Jan 2014
In reply to cornishben:

Hope there will be some more sand in the gullies after this next one.
CharlesE 31 Jan 2014
In reply to oakapple:

Found a Nomic in some avalanche debris, took it, ebayed it, spent the money on weed, had no regrets.

cornishben 02 Mar 2014
In reply to oakapple:
I went round carn gowla in the lifeboat this morning for the first time since the storms, numerous fresh rock scars and bits missing but no obvious damage to any routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...