UKC

Internet sales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Antigua 30 Jan 2014
Have just started the process of buying a carbon rocket and noticed that a large number of manufacturers don't allow there bikes to be sold online or mail order anyone know why?

Pinarello, Colnago etc £ for £ is there really much difference?
 andy 30 Jan 2014
In reply to ByEek:

And Wiggle sell Colnago...
Removed User 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Antigua: If you can buy from Wiggle do it, the best mail company in the history of the world. I'm just a satisfied user, the only company which NEVER lets me down!

FrankBooth 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Antigua:

I work for a digital agency, and often create e-commerce stores for existing retail outlets. I've come across numerous occasions were premium brands prevent licensed retailers selling their product online - they often feel that that the anonymity of online sales de-values their product. For instance, as an official Gucci outlet, a chain of opticians I know is not allowed to sell the brands eyewear through their online store. Very often, premium marques are very conservative companies (they've been around a long time after all), and it takes a long time to embrace change. Largely nonsense of course, and really they just want to make sure consumers are paying a premium price by going into a shop.
 andy 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Removed User:

I'll see your Wiggle and raise you a Merlin Cycles - not got the range of Wiggle but their stock info seems faultless and delivery is fast and free. Wiggle are very good too, mind.
 Siward 30 Jan 2014
In reply to andy:

Wiggle always include some Haribo in their parcels
 nniff 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Antigua:

If you're really going to spend that sort of money, it does seem sensible to go and get measured and get a bike that will actually fit you. I was fortunate in that the flash bricks and mortar shop in which I bought my bike first caught my eye on line, but then I went to the shop to check the fit etc. There is no way that I would have ended up with that bike without being able to go and check it out. There was also no chance of getting a better deal elsewhere either, which was handy to say the very least.

And you're most unlikely to see another one on the road, which suits my eccentric side.
 gethin_allen 30 Jan 2014
In reply to andy:

merlin are often cheaper than wiggle
 IMA 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Antigua:

check out Canyon, online through themselves only but bang for buck with great customer service.

All online stuff has its flaws but it comes down to - do you know what you want? Are you prepared to take the risk over using your LBS, which may not have what you are after.

I just bought a Canyon, been great service all the way, I may have to pay to return it if I dislike it it, but the savings for a top frame make it worth while
 LastBoyScout 30 Jan 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

Merlin and Chain Reaction have better postage model to Wiggle - why wouldn't you go for free next day delivery over a couple of sweets?

As it happens, I'm still waiting for my Wiggle order from last week to arrive - I wanted something specific and they had it this time.

The New NickB 30 Jan 2014
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Unlucky, they obviously like me. I ordered some tires on Monday lunchtime, no hurry so opted for the free delivery of up to 4 days. I got a text on Tuesday saying they would arrive Wednesday lunch and they did.
 andy 30 Jan 2014
In reply to IMA:

> check out Canyon, online through themselves only but bang for buck with great customer service.

> All online stuff has its flaws but it comes down to - do you know what you want? Are you prepared to take the risk over using your LBS, which may not have what you are after.

> I just bought a Canyon, been great service all the way, I may have to pay to return it if I dislike it it, but the savings for a top frame make it worth while

I'd agree - I've got a Rose which is a similar business model. I think the fit thing is valid if it's a first bike, but I know what the geometry and measurements are that fit me so given that with Rose (and Canyon, I expect) you can specify crank length, stem length, bars etc etc then the chances of getting a bike that doesn't fit are lower than remote.

I also know there's an argument about "use it or lose it" with local bike shops, but the ones that'll survive aren't those that rely on flogging £2k bikes (or indeed over-priced tyres - I paid almost £40 for an emergency tyre from a local shop that I could buy for £25 almost anywhere online) - they're the ones who innovate and either get themselves an online presence (like Merlin and Ribble) or who offer something others don't (like the stupendous Stuart Rider in Skipton who builds, services and repairs bikes - and does turbo sessions and maintenance classes - in an industrial unit, so has low overheads and sells a service that you can't get online).
Antigua 30 Jan 2014
In reply to ByEek:
Sorry didn't make myself clear. Yes you can order a bike online but you have to pick it up from the shop they won't send it to you.

Yes have now seen the wiggle thing and think its odd as another retailer had a no mail order on Colnago bikes
Post edited at 19:44
 LastBoyScout 04 Feb 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

I'm still waiting for the order I placed on 23rd January. Apparently, there was an IT glitch and the stock didn't get allocated to my order. Chased Wiggle on Friday and was assured they would be posted out and arrive Monday. No sign of them, so chasing them again and the problem still hasn't been resolved and I'm still waiting for my order!
Rigid Raider 04 Feb 2014
In reply to Antigua:

If you can't buy something online it's because the manufacturer is trying to keep the distributors or retailers happy by preventing online competitors from discounting. In some lines of business, limiting the merchandise to accredited outlets is a major obsession for the sales force who get very upset when they find "grey" stocks in their territory.
 Neil Williams 04 Feb 2014
In reply to Antigua:

One thing might be so they can ensure the bike is set up properly for you rather than you doing it yourself on arrival.]

Neil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...