UKC

Normandy - D-Day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 30 Jan 2014
This year is the 70th anniversary of the D-Day Landings and many of the veterans will be attending events in Normandy for the last time. It seems that the Normandy Veterans Association is being wound down.

Has anyone here attended any past commemorations? I'm tempted to go if only to show my respect for the veterans. Some years ago I did visit the Ranville cemetery and it was a moving sight.
OP FesteringSore 30 Jan 2014
?Nobody?
 Trangia 30 Jan 2014
In reply to FesteringSore:
Yes, I was there two years ago. The whole area heaves with vets, well wishers and re-enactment groups. It's very interesting with loads of WW2 military vehicles on the roads. Also loads of camper vans.

You might find it difficult to find accommodation, that includes camp sites, if you haven't booked already.

We were actually camping at Clecy south of Caen where there is rock climbing and it is about an hour's drive to the Landing Beaches.

Aramanches had a military parade and whilst we were visiting the huge US Cemetery at Ranville, St Laurent two French Hercules aircraft did a fly past right along the Landing Beaches and dipped their wings in salute to the US Memorial.

Enjoy! It's quite an atmosphere.

It's also worth remembering that there are a lot of British and Commonwealth War Cemeteries in the area, many of which are rarely visited due to the popularity of the huge American cemetery, which I find rather a shame. So I try to visit some of these lesser known cemeteries whenever I'm in the area

http://battlefieldsww2.50megs.com/normandy_cemeteries.htm
Post edited at 17:46
 Alan Taylor 30 Jan 2014
In reply to FesteringSore:
My uncle was killed and is buried in cemetary at Le Mans. Will have to pay a visit before much longer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...