UKC

Base layers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Up High 30 Jan 2014
Hi Folks,
need to replace some old synthetic base layers,
I recently purchased a Merino wool Trek mates base layer 230gms.
although the arms seem to have shrunk a little am pleased with it, its warm and doesn't seem to be cold when damp.
But was thinking about the Rab meco tops are they any better than pure merino,
I have also read that the trek mates brand are less durable than others, does anyone have any experience of this.
Before anyone ask I don't have the budget that goes to Ice breaker purchases.
Thanks
 GridNorth 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Up High:

I just tend to buy polyester base layers because I only expect my base layer to wick sweat away and not to provide an significant insulation. Merino is OK but takes a long time to dry after washing and on a long trip that is important to me.
 Ander 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Up High:

Just start regualarly checking in TK Maxx for bargains. They reguarly have merino (including icebreaker)
 CurlyStevo 30 Jan 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

Same here and Merino doesn't wick as well as polyester and can get damp and heavy.
 GridNorth 30 Jan 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

If I do feel a need for additional insulation I would wear a Powerstretch base layer. Now that is warm!
 Sharp 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Up High:

The meco wicks better than pure merino, dries quicker but still retains the anti-odour properties of wool (although not quite as smell proof). It's good for higher intensity activity but doesn't really offer any noticeable extra warmth over synthetic imo. Personally I don't like it but it's well reviewed, the only benefit to me over synthetic is the anti-odour. If the fit/colours were better I might wear it more in the summer but it doesn't get worn often.

One of my colleagues finds it scratchy and mine was bobbled and lost it's label after light use (not that I'm particularly bothered but all my other base layers have been hammered and still look newish). It's quite a loose fit for RAB as well, I'm not sure if their stuff is getting more towards high street sizing or I'm just wasting away but I used to a find a medium a good fit from them and the small in their base layers is pretty blousey on me.

I wear a thick merino top (icebreaker, £40 for the 250 crew) for work as I'm standing around in the cold all day and I really notice the difference, warm and comfy (and easier on the washing, 2 weeks easy but will still be fresh after a month and beyond if you're so inclined). For any outdoors activity in the winter I use helly hansens merino tops, durable, non smelly, the right level of warmth for me and a close fit. If you're on a budget then they're often on ebay from people who've bought one online only to find it's too small.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...