UKC

Short Wellies - Pointless or genius?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
In the market for a new pair of wellies. Primary use dog walking. Usually between 4-6 miles over farmland/parks so need to be comfy.

Had my eye on a pair of neoprene Aigles, went to Decathlon to try a pair on but was wowed by their own brand Solognac...which seemed perfect and half the price. Anyway, they fitted perfectly but decided to check online incase they did other colours then click/collect from the store. Then I noticed they do them in a short version that comes half way up the calf. In my mind I cannot think of many times when I was glad of the length of my boots...not much muck over ankle deep.(although agree the odd occasion you are glad of it they are worth their weight in gold)

So, are short wellies great or a big con? Am I kidding myself that these will be more versatile? Should I get a long neoprene pair for winter and a short normal pair for spring/autumn? Someone please put me straight on dog walking wellie protocol...thx

toad 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

To my mind there's no real advantage in short wellies unless maybe you have large calves for your foot size. Weight saving is marginal and even if you aren't wading, the muck will run up your trousers that much more quickly.
In reply to toad:

Calves not a problem, more the convenience of slipping on and off without stuffing a lot more trouser in the legs etc. But then I may be imagining problems that aren't really there. Hence why I am hoping to hear from a short wellie convert
 Hat Dude 30 Jan 2014

You could always get long ones and fold the tops down, if you don't like having short wellies then you just put them up again

an added bonus is looking like Harold Steptoe or a navvy
 FactorXXX 30 Jan 2014

I've got a pair of normal length £10 Dunlops and take the dog on 10 mile walks or more without any blisters, etc.
I use two pairs of socks, this makes them more comfortable and seems to make getting them off easier.
As for length, can't really see the point in short wellies if you're walking through mud and/or wet grass.
In reply to FactorXXX:

So far long wellies are winning the vote...
 FactorXXX 30 Jan 2014

So far long wellies are winning the vote...

Out of curiosity, do you live in sheep country?
In reply to FactorXXX:

Nope, home counties. Although there are sheep
 Carolyn 30 Jan 2014

> more the convenience of slipping on and off without stuffing a lot more trouser in the legs etc.

Based purely on experience of my kids wellies, trousers might be easier to get into short wellies, but they also tend to escape from them again more easily. But you may not be climbing so many trees as my kids.
 Billhook 30 Jan 2014

The Aigles are excellent wellies for walking in. Like a number of the more expensive wellies, they have proper footbeds designed for walking in. (they also do lace up wellies - or did so a few years ago)

In comparison to similar priced leather/material 'walking boots' they'll outperform them in terms of comfort, durability and certainly waterproofness. And you'll never ever have to bother clean them or reproof them either.

I do recall a conversation I had with a chiropodist who said he dealt with a number of foot problems from regular wearers of cheap wellies which don't support the sole/heel or ankle in the same way boots or more expensive wellingtons do.
 lithos 30 Jan 2014

big fan of short wellies here. I use them when camping and getting
long ones on and off when in tent is a pain
 Ridge 30 Jan 2014

I have the wellie version of riggers boots. Dead easy ti get on and off, socks don't ride down ad much, don't feel as clumpy as wellies. Wear them all the time round the garden and walking the dog, to Mrs Ridge's disgust..
 lost1977 30 Jan 2014

Been wearing a pair of weasy's from decathlon for the last month for work and really like them if I still had a dog I think they would be ideal for dog walks
 Joak 30 Jan 2014

Whit is it with dog walkers and wellies? I've seen them in July and August oot oan their walkies wearing wellies when sandals and a sarong would have been a lot more appropriate. By the same token I've seen guys oot walking their terrier type mutts in subzero temps wearing a T shirt. In ma time I've kept Mice, Ferrets, Cats and Dogs, sans wellies. Just wondering?
 adamholden 31 Jan 2014
A bit off subject but still relevant!
I have quite an expensive (for wellies) set of wellies that are lined with neoprene and although warmer than normal none lined, the neoprene wore out very quickly. They are still fine on the sole but the wear internally has reduced them to garden only as they rub like a bugger. Go for normal and wear socks!
 galpinos 31 Jan 2014

Decathalon Weazy Boots. Short Wellies with a fleecy lining. Under a tenner normally at this ime of year.
 Tom Valentine 31 Jan 2014

Nokia Trimmi look good , if a bit expensive. You can fit steel studs to them as well.
 nniff 31 Jan 2014

I'm a long-term wearer of Hunter gummies - mostly for dog walking. Walking on grass and mud, each pair lasts about six years, although they do get a bit of a break in the summer. Long wellies to keep trousers clean - rigger boots and short wellies by exteniosn are a pain for things dropping in the top. Thick socks, wrap trouser around leg and done. Easier than boots to put on and take off, and keep the mud and water at bay.

Siward 31 Jan 2014

What did you think of their Solognacs? There's a '300' neoprene model on the decathlon website that look worth a punt.
In reply to Siward:

I thought they were fantastic, so much so I'm going to buy a pair.

Funnily enough was just in Green Park for a meeting and walked past some top end hunting shop, nipped in and tried a pair of Le Chameau neoprene boots on just for the hell of it . Gods honest truth, only difference I could tell between the two pairs was the £200 price difference.

In reply to nniff:

I'm avoiding Hunters. Wife's pair sole cracked after 1 years use. And I have heard the quality has dropped since production moved from Scotland to China. Although the Balmorals do look pretty sturdy...the Solognacs at Decathlon look just as good for half the price.
In reply to Joak:

Where I walk the dog wellies are essential. They stay in the boot of the car, I wear my crocs, drive to wherever we are going to walk. Put boots on, get muddy. Take boots off put crocs on go home.(unless I am running with him)

Don't know where you live but around here it hasn't stopped raining for months. It's swampy and boggy everywhere pretty much thats nice dog walking territory. So that's why I wear wellies.
 IanMcC 31 Jan 2014

According to UKC legend, Norrie Muir, late of this website, allegedly used wellies for all sorts of extreme hill adventures.Could climb VS in them.
 martinph78 31 Jan 2014
In reply to Joak:

They require no cleaning or maintenance or drying out, ideal for using in wet muddy conditions a couple of times a day surely?
 Joak 31 Jan 2014
In reply to IanMcC:

An old climbing partner of mine once forgot his climbing shoes on a visit to Rosyth quarry, he got up a few Severes in his old battered sandals. How he never lost some toes to the broken glass at the bottom of the routes always amazed me
 diagro 31 Jan 2014

you want Le Chameau wellies
In reply to diagro:

As I said a few posts above. Tried some on and couldn't see where the extra £200 was going. They are for dog walking, not standing on a peg next to the CEO of XXX PLC with my Purdy (I wish)
 Siward 31 Jan 2014
In reply to IanMcC:

Friend of a friend certainly managed the Aonach Eagach in full winter conditions in wellies.
Mind you, that was in the 80s.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...