UKC

Woman dies from 'Cannabis poisoning'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RyanC 31 Jan 2014
I saw this in the paper this morning and genuinely don't understand how the coroner/media have arrived at the verdict they have released.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-25968093

Thoughts?

RC
 crayefish 31 Jan 2014
In reply to RyanC:

And just as I was going to have a chilled Friday night indulging!

Yeah I am surprised, given (as far as I know) there have been no deaths as a direct result of a smoking session (you can't really OD as you can with other drugs).
 Pete Dangerous 31 Jan 2014
It's clearly not the only cause of her death otherwise it would have happened before.
In reply to RyanC:

the report mentioned the canabis inducing a heart attack...
Which is what probably killed her, appart from lack of breath.
In reply to crayefish:
> And just as I was going to have a chilled Friday night indulging!

> Yeah I am surprised, given (as far as I know) there have been no deaths as a direct result of a smoking session (you can't really OD as you can with other drugs).

and I'm telling...!!!
 crayefish 31 Jan 2014
In reply to mh554:

You don't know my name or where I live!!!! MWWWHHHAHAHAHA

Oh wait... you do... bugger! lol
 balmybaldwin 31 Jan 2014
In reply to mh554:

Interesting, as when in the hospital a few years ago following a suspected MI (it was ruled out in the end) I fessed up to the doc about my habit (which was v. heavy at the time). He said he hadn't heard of anything but would do some research, and came back to say that as far as he could tell from the research he did, cannabis use has never caused any cardiac issues, although he did point out that the smoking part of using it will be as bad as smoking fags.

crayefish 31 Jan 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Once when I was about 19 (and rather stoned) I had a heart attack like event... obviously freaked me out but I later spoke to a family friend who was a doctor who said it was nothing to do with a heart attack but a random bacterial infection which sometimes can give heart attack like symptoms. He said he often had a hard time convincing older people that what they thought was a heart attack, wasn't.
 balmybaldwin 31 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

A big difference for me was I was convinced I hadn't had a heart attack... it was paramedics and the doctors who were convinced, but all the tests proved there was no problem... it seems I've got unusual wiring in the heart (and now carry my "normal" heart tracing with me incase it happens again)
 Ban1 31 Jan 2014
In reply to RyanC:

in the article they mention something about 'liquid cannabis' ? whats that then.

crayefish 31 Jan 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

You should get it tattooed on your chest where your heart is
 crayefish 31 Jan 2014
In reply to Ban1:

Very pure THC resin in liquid form - usually dissolved in some solvent such as alcohol. THC is generally a crystalline solid at room temperature (I think it can be a liquid too, but it readily crystallizes - though I could be wrong) but liquid THC (a thick brown liquid) is usually smeared along a cigarette paper.
 woolsack 31 Jan 2014
In reply to Ban1:
> in the article they mention something about 'liquid cannabis' ? whats that then.

Cannabis oil?

lost1977 31 Jan 2014
In reply to Ban1:
What they are talking about is synthetics such as 5f-pb22, 5f-ur144, 5f-ak48b
Post edited at 18:33
 wilkie14c 31 Jan 2014
In reply to RyanC:

My lad nealy had a heart attack when I caught him with a biff out of his bedroom window
 JonathanJones 31 Jan 2014
In reply to RyanC:

Likely true - I have a friend who has a heart condition were cannabis would kill her, caffeine is also dangerous for her.. which now I think about it, is easier to OD on..
 AlexM 31 Jan 2014
In reply to RyanC:

Here's David Nutt's view on the story: http://drugscience.org.uk/blog/2014/01/31/death-by-cannabis/

From the sounds of it, Cannabis can trigger a heart attack. But so can sex, playing sport, or even straining while sitting on the bog.

So all-in-all the BBC and the Metro are giving wide-spread coverage to a mistake made by one coroner on one case.
 wilkie14c 31 Jan 2014
In reply to camalins:

so really its increased heart rate trigger by the cannabis? Cannabis being the trigger not the cause then, like an oil patch being the trigger of a skid that kills speeding driver <with speed being the actual cause> for example
On the rare occasion I have a vodka & red bull I can feel fluttery with increased heart rate due to the caffine, affects people differently eh?
 AlexM 31 Jan 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Yeap, spot on.
 AlexM 31 Jan 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

And as Nutt says, at the same time as this story, drugs that can kill people by overdose (alcohol), or are highly addictive and cause severe, life-shortening, illnesses (alcohol and nicotine), only make page 20.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...