UKC

Anyone Have a Ben Lomond Topo?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jonnie3430 01 Feb 2014
Hello,

I'm trying to sort the Ben Lomond page and have a few questions.
Does anyone have a topo?
Does anyone know where Comer Corner goes? or can get in touch with CaptRobWash (have sent email but no response.)
Does anyone know where Zigzag goes? It's the only one in the guidebook, but I've been up to the crag but found it confusing, so if anyone has this stuff it'd save me some effort.
OP jonnie3430 03 Feb 2014
In reply to jonnie3430:

Bump...
 Michael Gordon 03 Feb 2014
In reply to jonnie3430:

Didn't realise anyone rock climbed on Ben Lomond. Isn't it more of a winter crag?
OP jonnie3430 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Aye
Jim C 04 Feb 2014

> Didn't realise anyone rock climbed on Ben Lomond. Isn't it more of a winter crag?

It was looking pretty white yesterday when I drove past on the way back from a trip to the rather impressive Falls of Falloch. There was so much spray from the falls at times it was hard to get a clear lens.
OP jonnie3430 04 Feb 2014
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Cheers Morgan, that still doesn't have Comer Corner or Zigzag on it.
 Martin W 04 Feb 2014
In reply to jonnie3430:

> Cheers Morgan, that still doesn't have Comer Corner or Zigzag on it.

That would be because Morgan's link is about Ben Lomond in Tasmania. (Or did everyone else already know that, and I've just been fooled by your in-joke?)
 Martin W 04 Feb 2014
> Didn't realise anyone rock climbed on Ben Lomond. Isn't it more of a winter crag?

All the routes on the logbook page for Ben Lomond in Stirlingshire - the one that jonnie3430 moderates - are winter lines.
Post edited at 09:51
 Martin W 04 Feb 2014
In reply to jonnie3430:
> Does anyone know where Zigzag goes? It's the only one in the guidebook, but I've been up to the crag but found it confusing, so if anyone has this stuff it'd save me some effort.

Which guidebook are you working from? There are five named routes on Ben Lomond in my copy of the 1997 Arran, Arrochar and the Southern Highlands guidebook. You have two of them on the logbook page: Lomond Corner and ZigZag, both on C Buttress. The others are Solo Buttress III and Lomond Delight III - both on B Buttress - and Lost in Snow III on C Buttress

The New Routes section of the 2006 SMC Journal lists Endrick Corner V,6 on C Buttress (which you have listed) and Roamin' in the Lomond IV,3 on B Buttress, which you don't. You've got the routes from the 2009 and 2010 new routes lists but you're missing Lomond Buttress III,4 on C Buttress from the 2011 supplement. I don't know whether these appear in any other guidebooks. Given that Scottish Winter Climbs was last updated in 2008 (and the previous edition doesn't even mention Ben Lomond) I doubt they're in there.

I'd be happy to send you copies/scans of the material referenced above if it would help.
Post edited at 09:48
OP jonnie3430 05 Feb 2014
In reply to Martin W:

Cheers Martin, I'll dig out the Arrochar Alps guide!
 UKC Forums 05 Feb 2014
This thread was started in the ROCK DESTINATIONS forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Winter Climbing
From Scottish gullies to Rjukan ice falls, this is the forum to discuss everything involved with winter climbing. Conditions, what's in and what's not, avalanche risk, recommended routes plus accounts of your exploits.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...