UKC

Mulhacen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 01 Feb 2014
We've got a family holiday in Spain(Nerja) first week of June and I'm wondering about "having a look" at Mulhacen. Can anyone tell me anything about it? Is it feasible to do it in a day from Nerja given that we've got a hire car?
 Kimono 01 Feb 2014
In reply to FesteringSore:

well, you can always drive to the top!
 Conan 01 Feb 2014

I did it from El Chorro in a day and you will have only half the distance to drive. Quite an easy walk from the carpark to the south.

Drove up the zigzags from Pampaneira.
Still leaves a good walk to the summit.
Nice covering of snow when I did it.
 StefanB 01 Feb 2014
If you are fit enough it can be done, however probably not by the nicest route. There are probably more enjoyable day walks to be had in the region.

If you are happy to sleep out a night, the Trevelez-Siete Lagunas route is very nice. Bivi cave and great wild camping spot a t Siete Lagunas.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, if you are happy to walk a bit in the dark and are experienced enough it can well be done in day by the Siete Lagunas route as well. It's a very long day though and the altitude does slow one down.
Post edited at 16:37
king_of_gibraltar 01 Feb 2014
In reply to Kimono:

No, you can't.
king_of_gibraltar 01 Feb 2014

Google "Spanish Highs". It's run by Richard Hartley who lives up in Lanjaron and run mountaineering courses and do some guiding up in Sierra Nevada. They also provide self guided support in the form of transport to the start and finish of your trek and do gear rental.

I highly recommend doing the Siete Lagunas route but the Poqueira route is also nice.

Another option is to drive up to the Ski resort, they keep the lifts running during summer (passes a really cheap) and you can just start trekking at high altitude to save yourself from the heat of June.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...