UKC

6 nations (spoilers)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 01 Feb 2014
At last its started

Good start by Italy so far, except for the stupid defensive fumble that gave away the early try for Wales
 abr1966 01 Feb 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> At last its started

> Good start by Italy so far, except for the stupid defensive fumble that gave away the early try for Wales

Poor lad....it's his debut too! Close game but wales need to be a bit more creative! Ref killing every scrum and slowing the whole game down...
 Oceanrower 01 Feb 2014
In reply to abr1966:

Italy playing well. Making Wales look a little pedestrian!
OP balmybaldwin 01 Feb 2014
In reply to Oceanrower:

The old italian soft tackles nave started creeping in, but matching wales quite well. Forward pass for their try, but probably makes up for the ref stopping Sergio for the knock on given against them(that came off red) and they were odds on for a try

Italy interception try!

Makes the last 10 interesting

Good opener, if not the most clinical of matches, probably a fair score line 23-15.

Good reaction from the crowd when italian 13 got man of the match.

Now for an afternoon in Paris... I wonder which france we'll meet
 Oceanrower 01 Feb 2014

> I wonder which france we'll meet

The "cheese eating, surrender monkeys" one.

I hope.
In reply to Oceanrower:

Well theyve dropped their annoying little scrum half.

That didnt start well did it
Slugain Howff 01 Feb 2014

Guscott predicted England by 10 points at the start which was a dangerous/disrespectful thing to do.

S
In reply to Slugain Howff:

This is looking very dire for England at the moment
 andy 01 Feb 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin: they're looking back to the old "no plan B" version of England.

Bugger.

stewieatb 01 Feb 2014

Went on BBC to check England score

Immediately regretted this decision.
 andy 01 Feb 2014
In reply to stewieatb:

Better than they deserve.

Brian moore appears to be going senile. When the ref puts his arm in the air, Brian, it means he's given the try...
 coinneach 01 Feb 2014
In reply to Oceanrower:

Nothing like a bit casual racism to kick off the tournament
contrariousjim 01 Feb 2014

France appear to have turned up. Definitely less scrappy than England unfortunately.
 Oceanrower 01 Feb 2014
In reply to coinneach:

Do grow up.

If it's goood enough for Fox TV, it's good enough for me.
 andy 01 Feb 2014
In reply to Oceanrower: extraordinary "confidence" from Guscott and Woodward. You'd think England were stuffing them.

Oceanrower 01 Feb 2014
In reply to coinneach:

Just so you know.

I've just been shouting racist things at the telly about Nigel bloody Owens too!
 Skol 01 Feb 2014
In reply to Oceanrower:

It's quiet in this Welsh pub
 andy 01 Feb 2014
In reply to Oceanrower:
That guscott bloke's clever, isn't he?

Thats better, try for burrell (debut?) and we are level
 andy 01 Feb 2014

Are you watching this on delay?
In reply to andy:

So I am... forgot id gone to get a cuppa

> So I am... forgot id gone to get a cuppa

Its a funny old world!

Nyanga Kabasele was on impressive form!
Kicked/Passed/Ran: 1/7/4
Metres made: 49
Clean breaks: 2
Defenders beaten: 7
Offloads: 1
Turnovers won: 3
Tackles made/missed: 10/1
Line outs won/lost: 4/0
Penalties conceded: 1
No one came close stats wise on the England team, but you can understand why they gave the MoM to Huget for his two tries. So far whats made me happiest in the first two matches is that Italy look sharp, and if they can put in a performance like that away from home, could cause alot of trouble.. ..I hope they do!
Removed User 01 Feb 2014

Great start to the 6 nations. Fickou's try comes a close second for most pleasurable moment of the day to Thomas Castaignede's glee while Jeremy Gusset's face looked like he was trying to chew a lemon and smell a fart at the same time.
 Skol 01 Feb 2014
In reply to Skol:

Posh boys nil, The Welsh 1
 Dr.S at work 01 Feb 2014
In reply to Skol:

Two very entertaining games, hope the Irish and scots can maintain the momentum.....
Kipper 01 Feb 2014
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> Two very entertaining games, hope the Irish and scots can maintain the momentum.....

Unlikely.

JoshOvki 02 Feb 2014

Gutted that final try was from a ball that was out. Would have been spectacular otherwise.
 Seocan 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Oceanrower:

Agreed. Italy did look good. Doesn't bode well for the northern contingent. I could only stomach the first half of the irish match before i opted to walk the dog.
OP balmybaldwin 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Seocan:

So any predictions for the weekend?
 Shani 07 Feb 2014

England to beat Scotland.
France to beat Italy.
Wales to beat Ireland (possibly)
 crayefish 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Shani:

I think the Wales Ireland match will be the match of the weekend. Should be a good battle.
 Shani 07 Feb 2014
In reply to crayefish:
> (In reply to Shani)
>
> I think the Wales Ireland match will be the match of the weekend. Should be a good battle.

Totally agree. Most Irish I know consider this to be 'The Big One'. It's my second favourite 6N match after Le Crunch. Third favourite is the annual spoon-off between Scotland and Italy....

....heck, the 6N offers loads of good rugby!
 crayefish 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Shani:

Us Welshies consider it the second... nothing is better than beating the English!

Last week was great for us too As they say in Wales... we have two teams; our own and anyone playing England. lol

I just hope Wales play better this weekend as last week we were pretty uninspired (unlike the Irish).
 Shani 07 Feb 2014
In reply to crayefish:
> (In reply to Shani)
>
> Us Welshies consider it the second... nothing is better than beating the English!
>
> Last week was great for us too As they say in Wales... we have two teams; our own and anyone playing England. lol
>
> I just hope Wales play better this weekend as last week we were pretty uninspired (unlike the Irish).

Yeah - old rivalries run deep! I think that the margins in the Wales vs Ireland game are often quite tight and you chuck in the politics/Lions and you have a VERY spicy game. I'm really looking forward to it.

Crushing Scotland will be icing on the cake.
 crayefish 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Shani:

I have to support Scotland as the missus is Scottish... but they're playing England so in this case it works out
 Horse 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Shani:

This weekend one needs to factor in the the howling gale and p*ssing rain that will likely prevail for at least the Saturday games. I suspect it will be ugly rugby.

One would have thought the Irish are more familiar with the crap conditions than the Welsh who play in air conditioned shoe box in Cardiff. However, Warrenball involves plenty of hoofing it down the park with a load of big blokes chasing it so who knows. I suspect the Irish dislike Wazza even more than anyone else; dislike seems a strong motivator for them. So that and home advantage to just about prevail. Cue Wazza post match interview featuring a vocabulary not including the words "loss", "lost" or "losers".

If Scotland have any sense (not something they are often accused of) they will get the ball stick it in the heavens out wide, rattle the English back 3 (assuming they haven't gone all narrow) and hope for few French bounces in the ensuing chaos. Repeat ad nauseam for 80 minutes'. This assumes the players don't drown in mud or get strangled by the worms inhabiting the compost heap that is now Murrayfield. Home team to sneak it by 2 or 3, cue more Rimmer "positives" and associated bull in the press conference.

Italy to give it a lash in Paris but to no avail.
 teflonpete 07 Feb 2014
In reply to crayefish:

> Us Welshies consider it the second... nothing is better than beating the English!

Looking forward to that one, always the best win of the 6N for England if it happens, or the crushing disappointment and weeks of ribbing from my other half ( a Wales supporter) if we lose. Either way, something to get the adrenaline going. :0)

> Last week was great for us too As they say in Wales... we have two teams; our own and anyone playing England. lol

Just like in Scotland, Ireland, France... Heard it all before. Glad you hold us in such high regard. ;0)

> I just hope Wales play better this weekend as last week we were pretty uninspired (unlike the Irish).

Wales - Ireland has to be the match of the weekend, and the best chance we'll get to see fast, slick rugby, mostly from the Ireland backs... ;0P

crayefish 07 Feb 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

> Just like in Scotland, Ireland, France... Heard it all before. Glad you hold us in such high regard. ;0)

More of a Celtic thing I think; pretty sure the French are indifferent (unless something interferes with their cigarette). Probably because England are such graceful winners. lol

> Wales - Ireland has to be the match of the weekend, and the best chance we'll get to see fast, slick rugby, mostly from the Ireland backs... ;0P

Oooh fighting talk! lol. But then the English don't quite understand the role of the backs.
 teflonpete 07 Feb 2014
In reply to crayefish:

> More of a Celtic thing I think; pretty sure the French are indifferent (unless something interferes with their cigarette). Probably because England are such graceful winners. lol

The French were jumping on the ABE bandwaggon last year or year before. No worries.

> Oooh fighting talk! lol. But then the English don't quite understand the role of the backs.

Backs? They're the ones that do the penalty kicks aren't they? ;0)

crayefish 07 Feb 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

> The French were jumping on the ABE bandwaggon last year or year before. No worries.

They're a sulky bunch

> Backs? They're the ones that do the penalty kicks aren't they? ;0)

Hahahaha spot on!
OP balmybaldwin 08 Feb 2014

Looking good for the Irish, hope they dont fold second half like last year

Is it the ref I can hear heavy breathing? Its really annoying
 Dr.S at work 08 Feb 2014

Sorry, I'm getting excited
Looks like no grandslam for wales this year

Very convincing finish from ireland
Post edited at 16:18
 Horse 08 Feb 2014

On that performance they might be re-stocking the kitchen drawer. Clueless. Ireland were clever, simple game played very effectively.

Im liking the look of the pitch. This is going to get messy. Proper rugby like I remember playing coming home with kit my mum wanted to burn rather than put in her machine!

Try!
 JoshOvki 09 Feb 2014

Was the Scotland v England match part of the reason they want to go independent? Fed up of getting walked over etc..
 Dr.S at work 09 Feb 2014
In reply to JoshOvki:

> Was the Scotland v England match part of the reason they want to go independent? Fed up of getting walked over etc..

I was a bit surprised, thought Scotland did fairly well against Ireland ( and the Irish thrashing wales puts the result in some context).

Not sure if the pitch favoured England a bit, heavy conditions being on the side of the Big English units (vunipola x2 , Marler, Courtney and co) with only Denton and big Jim Hamilton being able to cope?

What has Grey senior done wrong to get dropped?
OP balmybaldwin 09 Feb 2014

Italy surviving well so far
OP balmybaldwin 09 Feb 2014

Oh dear France have turned up second half
Tim Chappell 09 Feb 2014
In reply to Dr.S at work:
> Not sure if the pitch favoured England a bit

You must be joking. I'm half-inclined to believe the SRU planned that pitch, in order to bog England down.

Historically, that is what Scotland do when we come to Murrayfield: they try to stop us playing rugby. Sometimes it works. This time it didn't.

That's certainly what they were up to yesterday: dropping mauls, interfering with release, going off their feet, dropping scrums, obstructing, coming in from the side, holding on the ground, lazy running--pretty much everything in the cheats' handbook, really. If the ref had actually stuck to the laws of the game, Scotland would have had at least one man in the sin-bin pretty much the whole time.

There was one particularly comical moment where after plenty of warnings the ref had just sin-binned Dunbar for holding on the ground, and at the very next ruck, what d'you know--there's a Scottish player holding on the ground. Did he sin-bin him too? He should have, but he chickened out.

If the ref had stuck to the rules and shown the bottle he's supposed to, England would have won by 50 or 60 points.

Also, the match would not have happened at Murrayfield, because the ref could and should have refused to let it be played on that surface. For more about that, see my rant on the other thread
Post edited at 17:44
Tim Chappell 09 Feb 2014
PS The moment that said it all about Scotland's attitude yesterday: they got the ball off the back of a maul with 81 minutes on the clock, scrum half passes to fly half, fly half...

Does what? I'll give you a multiple choice:

1) ...sets off on a mazy run to try to restore some pride to Scottish hearts and scores a brilliant against-the-odds last-throw-of-the-dice solo try
2) ...does a miss-pass to his outside centre who sets off on a mazy run etc.
3) ...inside-dinks it to an enormous forward who charges like a fridge on legs and scores a brilliant etc.
4) ...at least has a go, but charges into brick-wall defence
5) ...kicks it out on the full so he can go and have a shower and a back-rub.

Any guesses which it was? Pathetic. You're playing for your country, lad. Is that really all you've got?

Removed User 09 Feb 2014
In reply to Tim Chappell:
Not disagreeing with you re some of the shonky tactics we employed yesterday Tim but as per usual you have your blinkers on. If last weeks ref had any balls he would have sent off Care for putting the boot into a French player and would have had a lot of words with rugby's answer to David Beckham Owen Farrell for his consistently petulant behaviour. Not saying we are squeaky clean, but some of the England squad display a shameful arrogance and Lancaster and Robshaw deserve better frankly. Your comment about the SRU planning that pitch BTW is ridiculous.

I think you're getting in a bit of an anti Scottish froth as well here, you're giving us way too much credit. We were/are shit, simple as that. Occasionally great passing ruined by an apparent inability to keep it going to the line, bottling it and gambling everything on a kick. The ghost of Dan Parks haunts us still. Depressing.

I do agree that you should have won by 50 or 60 points, but it wasn't because of the referee, more likely it was because England aren't as good as you think, and based on yesterday, I'd expect Wales to beat them and Ireland to flatten them. England were sometimes great to watch yesterday and last weekend, but that's still not saying much.
Post edited at 18:17
Tim Chappell 09 Feb 2014
In reply to Removed User:
Some of that I agree with, in particular:

a) Yes, Farrell needs to grow up. His off the ball antics are stupid, childish, and embarrassing. He needs to work on his tackling, too.
b) Yes, Scotland are quite simply shit (that's why they were having to cheat).
c) Yes, on present form England should lose to Ireland, and perhaps to Wales as well.
d) No, joking apart, I don't seriously think the SRU actually *planned* to produce such a rubbish pitch; they are nonetheless accountable for completely ballsing it up. I hope they get their ears properly bent about this. It's not just about producing a pitch that will give us an attractive game. Much more importantly, it's about producing a pitch that won't kill/ disable someone when the front rows lose their footing.
Oh, and...
e) Nothing remotely anti-Scottish about this. I want Scotland to do well. I'd like them to be the number 2 side in the world ...But right now, as you say, they're shit.
Post edited at 18:36
Removed User 09 Feb 2014

> they are nonetheless accountable for completely ballsing it up. I hope they get their ears properly bent about this. It's not just about producing a pitch that will give us an attractive game. Much more importantly, it's about producing a pitch that won't kill/ disable someone when the front rows lose their footing.

Agreed.
 FactorXXX 09 Feb 2014

That's certainly what they were up to yesterday: dropping mauls, interfering with release, going off their feet, dropping scrums, obstructing, coming in from the side, holding on the ground, lazy running--pretty much everything in the cheats' handbook, really. If the ref had actually stuck to the laws of the game, Scotland would have had at least one man in the sin-bin pretty much the whole time.

Sounds like a Richie McCaw master class!

If anyone want's a laugh at the expense of the Welsh, then Scrum V starts in five minutes or so...

Tim Chappell 09 Feb 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:
I'm watching Wales/ Ireland now. I always enjoy the other matches, the ones I don't have a national interest in, more than the England match, during which I get depressed if they're losing and perfectionist if they're winning... But this, unlike England v Scotland, does look like a proper, two-sided, blood and thunder rugby international. I don't think Wales are anything like as bad as the scoreline suggests. I don't fancy England's chances against either, I'm afraid.

One complaint: Scott Williams ought to be cited for his late shoulder-charge on BO'D. Dangerous and pointless. He deserved to get injured, going in like that.
Post edited at 21:02

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...