UKC

BBC4 Wednesday 5th Feb -- K2 : The Killer Summit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sbc_10 01 Feb 2014
Documentary on BBC4 Wednesday 5th Feb. at 9 pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03td9sc

some preview clips as well. Looks good.
 veteye 01 Feb 2014
In reply to sbc_10:

Hope I remember to put the TV on to watch it.
 KarlH 02 Feb 2014
In reply to sbc_10:

Looks good. Thanks.
 JamButty 02 Feb 2014
In reply to sbc_10:
Good spot ta....

followed by a bit of Julia!!

Good night in eh!
Post edited at 16:39
OP sbc_10 03 Feb 2014
In reply to sbc_10:

Monday evening bump.

Two days to set the recorder.
OP sbc_10 05 Feb 2014
In reply to sbc_10:

It's on tonight bump.
Rosco P Coltrane 05 Feb 2014
In reply to sbc_10:

Looks like it's based around the book 'No Way Down'?

balmybaldwin 06 Feb 2014
In reply to sbc_10:

Recorded this and just watched it.

Im now sitting quite stunned by the whole thing. Amazing stuff, and very sad in places.

I remember reading the news whilst this happenned, and the film does a very good job of conveying how terrifyingly quickly things can go wrong.

If you missed it its here on iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/iplayer/episode/b03td9sc
 Al Evans 07 Feb 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

I just watched it on iplayer and was struck by the claim that it was 40% footage the climbers themselves had shot, just watch it, no way.
 balmybaldwin 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

They probably mean excluding the interviews to camera etc.

Regardless, it's quite a striking film
In reply to Rosco P Coltrane:

> Looks like it's based around the book 'No Way Down'?

One of the worst-written books I've tried to read. A tragedy such as this deserves a far better epitaph than this book provides. The programme helped me to understand what went on a good deal better than that rather dire book did.

T.
 Trangia 07 Feb 2014
In reply to sbc_10:

I've just watched it on iPlayer. All I can say is that I found it very disturbing and harrowing.

Skyfall 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Trangia:

I actually found the film very confusing. It seemed to cut backwards and forwards quite a lot.

balmybaldwin 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Skyfall:
Yes, I know what you mean, it may have worked better if it was linear, but I think the point was the first 20 minutes recounted what happenned from an outside world point of view and the remaineder then went into detail about peoples exact actions, which told a rather different story.

sounds like a bit (a lot) of bad luck opened up the weaknesses in the group which up to that point was working well.

Interesting comments from the Sherpas about the way they were treated by the Korean Expedition, and generally about the level of experience in that group (although it's clear that this did not directly contribute to the main accident)
Edit: although the reluctance of the Korean leader to be involved implies that he is not proud of what happenned)
Post edited at 15:04
 crayefish 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

> I actually found the film very confusing. It seemed to cut backwards and forwards quite a lot.

I couldn't work out who had died very easily and who hadn't. A bit confusing.

But never the less it was an extremely interesting film. Makes you think twice about 'oh I'd love to climb that!'
 Robert Durran 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Trangia:

> All I can say is that I found it very disturbing and harrowing.

Yes, an excellent film.
Some of it was obviously genuine footage taken at the time and some was obviously reconstruction, but it sometimes wasn't obvious which. I have no problem with good and relevant reconstruction but it would be so simple to put a symbol or the word "reconstruction" in the corner of the screen so that we know what we are watching at all times. Too many documentaries suffer from this annoyance nowadays.

In reply to Robert Durran:

> but it would be so simple to put a symbol or the word "reconstruction" in the corner of the screen so that we know what we are watching at all times

Yeah; some indication of what was reconstruction would have been useful.

A bit like my suggestion of a 'speculometer' for 'walking with dinosaurs', that would give an indication of the level of speculation involved in the scenes...
 balmybaldwin 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Robert Durran:

Would make it more "honest"
 Robert Durran 07 Feb 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:
> (In reply to Robert Durran)

> Would make it more "honest"

Yes. I just like, quite reasonably, to know what I'm looking at.

Gav M 07 Feb 2014
In reply to crayefish:

> But never the less it was an extremely interesting film. Makes you think twice about 'oh I'd love to climb that!'

Certainly put me off. Imagine finding yourself stuck in the middle of a rope of fuds under those seracs. I'm surprised that all parties agreed to merge, not one of them did what I'd hope I'd have done, pull a third little pig trick and set off earlier than agreed, climbing without fixed ropes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...