UKC

Homemade Abalakov threader

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 02 Feb 2014

I've used coat hanger in the past but came up with this yesterday: a piece of bicycle brake cable outer with a little bit of the spiral wire pulled out of one end.

Haven't tried it yet but don't see why it wouldn't work.
Post edited at 18:28
 squirrel00 02 Feb 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

should work a treat mate use the same kind of thing (insert from a mig lance)to thread wiring through truck chassis never fails as long as the wiring is attached strong enough
 Lone Rider 02 Feb 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Don't suppose you managed to use it today on Cul Mor?
OP DaveHK 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Lone Rider:

That was yesterday. It was part of today's plan for Salmon Leap without topping out into the malestrom.
 gethin_allen 02 Feb 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

I have a bent bicycle spoke with a end of the hook sharpened with a file. It even has a retractable cover for the hook made from a pen top to prevent you skewering yourself unintentionally.
 smithaldo 03 Feb 2014
In reply to DaveHK:
Probably too late now but those first shot bd things are amazing in terms of saving time if you need to do multiple ones, especially for me as a punter I would reccomend them if you see one cheap.
Post edited at 07:52
 ebdon 03 Feb 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

I secound the bike spoke - have had mine for years and its done very well
 Nic DW 03 Feb 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

I had a great coathanger derived one which unfortunately disappeared. My new one is made of wire, folds with a nice hook back on itself to rack when not in use. Couldn't get it quite as right as it's predecessor though...
 JakeWShaw 03 Feb 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Once you get the hang of it, some electrical wire with the outer stripped off at the hook end or a bent coathanger, works almost as well as a shop bought one.
mick taylor 04 Feb 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Has anyone else tried using a thin sling (as an emergency threader)? Couldn't believe how easy it was. Works best if the ab cord has an end thats been badly melted with a fag lighter and becomes a bit velcro-ey.
 Jim Walton 04 Feb 2014
In reply to mick taylor:
I heard of one guy taking the wire from his hood stiffener and using that!
 steveej 04 Feb 2014
In reply to mick taylor:

I learnt this trick about 6 years ago and have never since carried an abalokov threader.

Only work with modern slings than can fit through the hole and not with the old 16mm+ wide slings, but you don't see many of them about now anyway.
 Euge 05 Feb 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Reading this topic got me thinking.
It seams the perfect thing is curtain wire with a hook at one end...

Easily to roll up and keep out of the way.
Going to try this.

Cheers
E

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...