UKC

ski helmets for winter climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 paulh.0776 02 Feb 2014
Anybody got any thoughts or experience of using ski helmets for winter climbing?
 DaveHK 02 Feb 2014
In reply to paulh.0776:

Hot, heavy and bulky.
SethChili 02 Feb 2014
In reply to paulh.0776:

I suppose it comes down to whether it is safer to climb in skiing helmet or ski in a climbing helmet . I don't know of any lids which are recommended for both activities .
 DaveHK 02 Feb 2014
In reply to SethChili:

Recommended or not I ski in my climbing helmet quite a lot of the time. Couldn't face climbing in a ski helmet.
OP paulh.0776 02 Feb 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Thanks Dave, I guess the weight is the big issue, they do look a lot more solid tho. and would take a big impact...
Shearwater 02 Feb 2014
In reply to SethChili:

> I don't know of any lids which are recommended for both activities .

There are at least two already on the market (of which I can only remember the name of one right now, the Camp Pulse) and at least one more on the way (Cebe Trilogy) and possibly others.

There are a few reviews out there. They're not necessarily the nicest helmets in the world.
SethChili 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Shearwater:

> There are at least two already on the market

I stand corrected !

Nathan Adam 02 Feb 2014
In reply to paulh.0776:

Is the Kong one not rated for skiing as well ? Or is that just biking and paddle sports ?
 HookySam 02 Feb 2014
In reply to paulh.0776:

There is also the SCOTT Couloir.. Rated for both climbing and skiing.
In reply to SethChili:

> I suppose it comes down to whether it is safer to climb in skiing helmet or ski in a climbing helmet

Sod the recommendations, let's be practical - climbing in any helmet or skiing in any helmet or cycling in any helmet is safer than climbing in no helmet or skiing in no helmet or cycling in no helmet.

youngtom 03 Feb 2014
In reply to paulh.0776:

> Thanks Dave, I guess the weight is the big issue, they do look a lot more solid tho. and would take a big impact...

Not all ski helmets are the hardshell-insulated-stormtrooper style construction though. My own isn't much heavier than my old bike helmet and has reasonable amounts of venting.
The issue that I suspect you would have is that they tend to come down further at the back of the head. This makes it quite uncomfortable to be looking up for long periods.
A multi activity helmet as the others suggested would probably be the best compromise if you can find one the right shape for your head. My wife climbs in a Simmond Calcite Light which claims to be suitable for all sorts of things like cycling and skiing. The WC 360 or Petzl Meteor III would also be worn looking at.
 Steve Kempley 03 Feb 2014
In reply to paulh.0776:

Kong Kosmos is rated for ski, climb & mountain biking, but will set you back 70 euros including delivery (and more for the ear-muffs!)
 Lucy Wallace 05 Feb 2014
In reply to paulh.0776:

There are various EN ratings for helmets. Climbing helmets are rated to EN 12492 and have to confirm to various standards for strap strength, impact protection and falling objects.

A quick google and I found the standard for ski helmets is CE-EN 1077 with two classes, A or B. A is a higher rating with more stringent standards, but neither is rated for impact from falling objects.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=96089

I'd wear my climbing helmet skiing but not the other way round.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...