UKC

Philip Seymour Hoffman

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
In reply to Tom Last:

Terrible, terrible tragic news. I thought he was one of the very greatest male actors in the whole of cinema history. At his best, spellbindingly subtle and versatile, with a huge range of emotion.
 Jon Stewart 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

Very sad news. A brilliant actor.

youtube.com/watch?v=pynxRRVBu74&
 Padraig 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
I thought he was one of the very greatest male actors in the whole of cinema history. At his best, spellbindingly subtle and versatile, with a huge range of emotion.

Totally agree! Couldn't have put it better. Watched him in Cold Mountain the other night with the Mrs. and did think to myself "What a great actor" ....
 Alyson 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

Quietly superb in every perfomance I've ever seen him give. Terribly sad news.
 Tom Valentine 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

Couldn't sit through Synecdoche NY or Jack Goes Boating, but everything else I've seen him do has been superb, with special mentions for Capote and Doubt.
 Tony the Blade 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

It's a sad combination of inner demons that makes for both great artists and the need for deadly habits.
 1poundSOCKS 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last: One of my favourite actors, he almost steals the movie 'Hard Eight' and he's only in it for 2 minutes.

aln 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Tony the Blade:

> It's a sad combination of inner demons that makes for both great artists and the need for deadly habits.

BS.
 Blue Straggler 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

Yes, I was surprised, and this is a real loss (as opposed to long-retired folk in their 90s); he had more DECADES of performances in him.
What was really stunning about him was that his physicality never seemed to restrict his range; he was very versatile across comedy, drama, indie, arthouse and blockbuster etc.

Coincidentally I recently watched The Talented Mr. Ripley for the first time and although his role is minor, and I wouldn't say he "steals" any scenes let alone the film, the scenes with him are by far the most edgy - and that was down to his performance, not the writing or directing.

He'll be missed.
 aln 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

I didn't know he was a junkie.
 Little Brew 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

Sad news and shocked both me and Hubby!

Wonder what the Hunger Games films will do now.... he features a bit in the 3rd book which they have split in to 2 films.

also never knew he had a drink/drug problem.
 James FR 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

It took several seconds of looking at the BBC news website this morning to actually register what I was seeing.

It's just so sad, and I agree that he had many more decades of fantastic roles in him.
 Banned User 77 04 Feb 2014
In reply to James FR:

> It took several seconds of looking at the BBC news website this morning to actually register what I was seeing.

> It's just so sad, and I agree that he had many more decades of fantastic roles in him.

Health wise he didn't.. sad news but I thought it was pretty well known he had drug issues and his general health wasn't good at all. The most surprising thing about this for me was his age.. I thought he was at least 10 years older.

Great actor though, loved watching anything he was in. And he did always come across as a genuinely nice guy in real life. Terrible for his ex, sounds like they were still close, and kids of course.
 Cú Chullain 04 Feb 2014
Very sad that we will not Seymour Hoffman again.
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Very sad news, another needless sewing death
 kevin stephens 04 Feb 2014
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat: not such a famous film but I highly recommend his recent (last?) film "A Late Quartet". Masterfully understated character acting

In reply to kevin stephens:

Agreed. A great, very underrated film, and PSH again was at his very best.
In reply to kevin stephens:

OK, here's a short clip of him in A Late Quartet, as a kind of tribute. 'Unleash your passion!'

youtube.com/watch?v=s1kELnv9s08&
 ThunderCat 04 Feb 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

He was killed by scientologists in revenge for lampooning L Ron Hubbard.

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message2474466/pg1

I'm fighting the urge to post on there, just to ask "do you, like, REALLY believe this? 'Really' Really?"

Blue Straggler 05 Feb 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

> Health wise he didn't.. sad news but I thought it was pretty well known he had drug issues and his general health wasn't good at all.

Maybe. But aside from his portliness I assumed he was in decent shape simply because he was quite prolific with his work, and I assumed that any drug use would be well under control simply because he came across as pretty classy. Naive of me, I know. But, you know, some gents with drug and health issues do soldier on into their 70s and beyond.

Blue Straggler 05 Feb 2014
In reply to ThunderCat:

No, that was the "scinetologists"

I like the one that mentions pre-planning and then goes on to MAKE NO SENSE AT ALL
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Another clip. Hoffman takes up the final third.

youtube.com/watch?v=MMzZ93_9tbw&
Clauso 05 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

For me, Rain Man was his finest hour.
 Tricadam 05 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

Sad news indeed.

Don't know if any of you are Adam Riches fans. A line from one of his shows:

"And now, some characters who didn't quite make the final cut: [Cue quintessential PSH pausing for thought noise] Philip Seymour Hoffman, human Geiger counter."

A superb actor.
In reply to Tom Last:

"Homely of frumpish pain"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...