UKC

Help me choose my new wheels

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Enty 02 Feb 2014
Enty's 2014 black Stealth Bomber is nearly finished but I have a dilemma - which wheels?

I've been offered two sets at the same price, these:

http://redkiteprayer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/IMG_0728.jpg

Or these:

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/rsys_ultimate_st...

Doing my head in - help us out.

E
 nniff 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Enty:

Could Mt Ventoux be an influencing factor (wind and/or climbing), or do you have a different primary use in mind?
 woollardjt 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Enty:

Mmmmm is this for road race, time trial, triathlon of just lookin the nuts
Tim Chappell 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Enty:

The Red Kites look dead hard. But then, they could be shite anyway. Who knows?

Maybe your choice is looking dead hard but being shite vs. not looking dead hard but not being shite.

Isn't that always the way?
 nniff 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Enty:

In the prettiness stakes, I think the mavic rims have it - unless the whole bike has a black 'Caped Crusader' theme........
 Toby_W 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Enty:

No contest, the zipps.

I've had a few pairs of Mavic wheels and they have been pretty fantastic but if you're after that truly cool Matt blackness as in hitch hikers guide then it's the zipps.

Cheers

Toby

Lurking Dave 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Enty:

Zipps

You see someone with a 5 year old pair of Zipps they still look good... you see someone with "other" 5 year old race wheels and they look sad and tired.

Cheers
LD

(SRAM S60 - poor purchasing choice )
 Choss 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Enty:

The Second pair, because they Look Prettier.
OP Enty 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Toby_W:

> No contest, the zipps.

> I've had a few pairs of Mavic wheels and they have been pretty fantastic but if you're after that truly cool Matt blackness as in hitch hikers guide then it's the zipps.

> Cheers

> Toby

What's putting me off the Zipps is that they are not the 100% black ones - they have shiny hubs and spokes and it might detract from the Stealth Bomber look.
JC at the shop is letting me try both this week so I'll post a pic then we can all have a vote

E
 nniff 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Enty:

So, we're down to pure aesthetics then?
 Toby_W 03 Feb 2014
In reply to nniff:

With an awful lot of bike parts (but mostly the frame) that's all that really matters in the end. Does it make you smile when you look at it.

Cheers

Toby
In reply to Enty:

I have a pair of the older Zipp 303 clinchers with ALU rim and I find them brilliant all rounders and will change to the firecrests as soon as they need replacing. If someone wants one pair of very good wheels for all their good weather riding then I couldn't say anything against the 303s. Have you thought about 202s, would be superb for the hills in your part of the world.
andymac 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Enty:
Zipps will be more expensive? 404s?

Not that appears to be an issue.

I've held one of those mavics. Lighter than fresh air.
Post edited at 17:45
andymac 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Enty:

What wheels did Wiggo,Froome. Etc have on the TeamGB road race bikes?

Was a bit of stealth about those bikes.

Frames etc had no branding
 Escher 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Enty:

Mavic's for me, Zipp's although brilliant are a bit too triathlon image wise. And for climbing I'd prefer lower profile. Heard good things about the exalith braking track too for long descents.
KMC 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Enty:

of the two choices Zipps every time but hubs are crap. much better (and Cheaper) to build your own, Chris King hubs on ENVE rims.
OP Enty 03 Feb 2014
In reply to KMC:

So Enve rims on a Chris King hub cheaper? Where from?

(by the way - JC at the shop is offloading these wheels at 1000€ because they're tubs and he can't seem to get rid of them)

E
OP Enty 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Escher:

> Mavic's for me, Zipp's although brilliant are a bit too triathlon image wise. And for climbing I'd prefer lower profile. Heard good things about the exalith braking track too for long descents.

Aye, the Mavics would be sweet on the climbs round here but I like the butch look of the Zipps for some of these fast and twisty village road races I do.

E
 Escher 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Enty: I

> Aye, the Mavics would be sweet on the climbs round here but I like the butch look of the Zipps for some of these fast and twisty village road races I do.

> E

Blimey, at 1000 euros a pop and the choice of twisty RR's and brilliant climbs I don't think I could decide either. I'd probably end up getting both and lying about it! I'm not helping much am I. I sympathise with your dilemma. Whichever you get they'll be brilliant but you'll soon want the other ones!
OP Enty 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Escher:

And to throw a spanner in the works I can have 3 Zipps, 2x 303 and 1x 404 rear for 1600€

E
KMC 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Enty:

You'll get complete wheelsets for around £2300, but if you build them yourself you can buy the hubs, rims & spokes for around £1950. your right probably more expensive than the Zipps (especially at the price youve been offered them!!) The CK hubs are crackin though and completely user serviceable. and when you brake a spoke you can replace it yourself without having to send it away like the factory built Mavics.

At the price you can get them i'd probably go with the ZIPPs, Are they for racing? I've got tubs on my TT bike and CX bike but never feel comfotable going a long way from home on a road bike with tubs and having to rely on some pitstop if I get a puncture. Plenty of people swear by them though and they are lighter.

A
In reply to KMC:

I rode nothing but tubs for years (back in the 60's must club riders did as proper lightweight clinchers did not exist!) I rarely p*nctured but always carried a spare tub ( generally rolled up in my rain cape and strapped under the saddle). Being a student and permanently skint, I became a dab hand at reparing tubs as well. I generally used double sided rim tape, and never had a tub 'roll' even when racing.
 Guy 04 Feb 2014
In reply to Enty:

> And to throw a spanner in the works I can have 3 Zipps, 2x 303 and 1x 404 rear for 1600€

Didn't think you were old enough to be riding a trike.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...