UKC

Studying in Norway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CacCarnBeag 02 Feb 2014
Hi all, looking for some advice. I'm seriously considering doing my masters at the University of Oslo, with a view to potentially getting a job over there for the longer term.

I want to winter climb/ski as much as I can while I'm there. More reliable conditions being the main reason for not doing a masters in Scotland.

I won't be able to afford a car, and won't speak the language at first. So I'm just trying to be realistic with things.

Has anybody on here studied/lived in Oslo? If so, what advice can you give? How accessable is Rjukan and Setesdal by public transport? And how easy is it to find partners in the area?

It will be a masters in Geomatics, if I get in.

Cheers

Fin
 BnB 03 Feb 2014
In reply to CacCarnBeag:

I have no personal experience of studying in Norway, though I do business over there (from a distance, not in person). But I have worked and studied abroad, and I cannot think of anything more exciting or satisfying than to embrace a new culture, landscape and lifestyle, especially when those chime with your own passions. Just do it, with the proviso that you will get ten times the benefit if you make best efforts with the language as well.

Your job prospects will also be massively improved. The Norwegians are a deeply conservative bunch who don't tend to consider candidates for jobs, even highly technical ones in the oil industry, without prior experience of living in Norway.
 Doug 03 Feb 2014
In reply to CacCarnBeag:

Many years ago (mid 1980s) I looked at doing a PhD at Oslo (with field work in Dovrefjell) as the fees were minimal, no problem working/writing in English & it seemed I could cover my costs with teaching. I had a place organised but then I was told I had to do a year of 'Norwegian language & culture' (wasn't called that but can't remember the name anymore). If I'd been Norwegian (or any other nationality) I would have had to pass a test in English.

I suspect this has all changed but worth checking.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...