UKC

Reviewing - PDFs and other electronic/online documents

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan M 03 Feb 2014
What is the best way to read, review and keep track of important points/text within large electronic documents (PDFs)? I have 20 PDF documents to read and review each document is between 200-350 pages each

I personally prefer printed text as I struggle to read large amounts of text on a screen especially when I need to cross reference or use parts of the documents to support a view point etc etc (Dissertation)

I can't print the documents so any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.
 mattrm 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Alan M:

Assuming you're using Windows, then there is a 'note' function on the free Foxit PDF Reader.

For your references etc, then you might find Zotero good:

http://www.zotero.org/
 GridNorth 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Alan M:

Foxit Reader and Evernote both allow marking up, highlighting etc. of PDF documents. EverNote has the added advantage of also being a cloud based app. Change the document on one device and any others you have are also automatically updated. On the MAC platform, Ipad, IPhone etc. as well as being able to run EverNote there is a program called Notability which is superb and free.
OP Alan M 03 Feb 2014
In reply to mattrm:

Cheers will check your suggestions out
OP Alan M 03 Feb 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

Thanks
OP Alan M 03 Feb 2014
Just downloaded Foxit Reader a massive improvement of the programme I was using. The notes, highlight, underline functions etc are exactly what I need.

Thanks

mattrm 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Alan M:

Glad you like it.

I reckon you should check out Evernote as well. Had forgotten about it, but it's really good as well.
 duchessofmalfi 03 Feb 2014
Assuming it is part of a review process two effective methods are:

(1) print, scribble, scan, send

(2) Make sure they properly version the PDF and keep a copy of each version - reply with plain text:

Page 1, para 5, spelling "rconfigure"

Beware the portability of on screen notes (as well as the slow and clunky nature of the note making).

steve taylor 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Alan M:

I use Adobe Reader XI - it has perfectly adequate captioning.

If you can get hold of a second monitor/PC, you can follow review comments one one, while making corrections on the other.

In reply to Alan M:

Adobe PDF readers on iPad and Android both have markup facilities; highlight, comment, etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...